ADE Optima / Accenta

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Customer phoned today ,  its one  we fitted in 2004 ,   says the two alternating LEDs  in the  sounder box  have gone dim .

Anyone know if its  fault  or are they worn out .  ?  

Not fitted these for years , changed to Texecom . 

What bell, panel info is irrelevant. The LEDs flash with just 12V applied, nothing to do with the panel. Having said that though, doesn't really matter anyway. Some do go dim, either with things wearing out or with the box ending up full of crud. When was it last serviced? Probably time for a new bell anyway, doubt the batteries in it are any good now.

LED's do not wear out, it may be the SAB battery is drawing more current than it used to, so the voltage to the LED's is less. It could also be general dirt and grime on the box / LED's

You could clean it, or change the whole box.

Its your choice what you do next. I doubt you will change the box FOC, but then to look at it will take time too.

Flashing LED's on bell boxes t me are a complete waste of time as they often cause problems like this.

Another thought, if the panel battery is 4 or over this may be a cause for concern.

LED's do not wear out,

Just for the record LED's can a do deteriorate and fade over time.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LED_failure_modes    however re the OP question, I would just be concerned if all other aspects of the alarm itself are functioning correctly. Especially when was the main battery last replaced? possibly a PSU struggling to operate the system and charge a near flat battery. Does the system still function with the mains off?

Doc H.

I fitted it in 2004 , done  a couple of panel battery changes ....I'm thinking the LEDs have deteriorated  TBH  ,  I'll call in  & make sure the system works .  Maybe change the bell .