DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Emily Alice Llewellyn

Studying NC Welding and fabrication

Emily Alice Llewellyn

Hello, I have just recently started my NC course. We have questions to work through but the way they are written I find hard to understand. I was hoping if someone could help answer or guide me in the right direction.  I have 3 questions I need help with

Explain why it is important to use a fixed common reference point for dimensioning of drawings and sketches

Explain how to use other sources of information to support the data (such as electronic component pin configuration specifications, standard reference charts for limits and fits, tapping drill reference charts, bend allowances required for material thickness, electrical conditions required for specific welding electrodes, mixing ratios for bonding and finishing materials, metal finishing specifications and inspection requirements)

Describe the need to ensure that sketches are of a suitable size, use appropriate drawing conventions, are in proportion and are legible to others.

Thank you, any help is appreciated :)

phil d

Hi, I think you'd be better off trying a welding forum, this is for electricians, and matters pertaining to electrical installation, not welding and fabrication.

roys

Phil is right, but I think most of us could have a good stab at the answers, however before we would do that the general way it works is that, you try to answers the questions first, posting up here your answers then we will try and help.

Good luck with course.

Edited by roys
Additional comment.

binky
6 hours ago, Emily Alice Llewellyn said:

Explain why it is important to use a fixed common reference point for dimensioning of drawings and sketches

Explain how to use other sources of information to support the data (such as electronic component pin configuration specifications, standard reference charts for limits and fits, tapping drill reference charts, bend allowances required for material thickness, electrical conditions required for specific welding electrodes, mixing ratios for bonding and finishing materials, metal finishing specifications and inspection requirements)

Describe the need to ensure that sketches are of a suitable size, use appropriate drawing conventions, are in proportion and are legible to others.

Thank you, any help is appreciated :)

well past my apprentice days, but rough answers are along the following lines:-

1/ If you measure from a single fix point it avoids compound errors. Every time you measure a dimension, there will be a small error (how small depends on accuracy of the measuring device), so if you measure, for example, 10mm, then from that point measure another 10mm, and repeat 10 times and the error each time is 0.1mm, then 10 x 0.1mm gives a tolerance band of + or - 1mm. If you measure from one fixed point the same 10mm spaces, then potential error remains as 0.1mm giving a tolerance band of +or - 0.1mm.

2/ part of answer is in the Zeus book (I am assuming they still give out the infamous Zeus book) which contains lots of standard limits and fits. These basically are short hand for tolerances, you may see such things as H5, S4 - it's all about measuring and producing work that will meet the designers specifications for size, shape, fit and function.

3/ Again all about conveying the above information in  a standard format on a piece of paper (drawing) you can read. 

Hope that is some use.

Blue Duck

@apprentice87 is a welder is he not? 

Andy™

no, he's a 5DW blacksmith

apprentice87
3 hours ago, Blue Duck said:

@apprentice87 is a welder is he not? 

certainly am...

john..

2 hours ago, Andy™ said:

Apparently!!!

john..

apprentice87

tango'd bollock... i just typed a load of stuff and it dissapeared....

apprentice87

12 hours ago, Emily Alice Llewellyn said:

I give up it just did it again... i will write something tomorrow

kerching
16 hours ago, Andy™ said:

So,what do,they do for the other 4 days.....

:pmsl1:

apprentice87

Shut up!!!!

john...

binky

smile and the whole world smiles with you @apprentice87  :slap

kerching
9 minutes ago, binky said:

smile and the whole world smiles with you @apprentice87  :slap

...or you can look like you are on some form of "register"

apprentice87

I am on a register!! [of sorts!!] What did they call it.. Hmm. errr... ahh!! "Certified" that is what it was!!!

john..

kerching

I have worked with a few folk who should be certified.......and more than a few customers

Tony S

I was coded, does that count?

apprentice87

Not quite the sort of certified i meant, but i suppose anyone that would choose to spend most of their time with their head in a bucket needs a certificate of some sort!

john..