Studying NC Welding and fabrication

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I have just recently started my NC course. We have questions to work through but the way they are written I find hard to understand. I was hoping if someone could help answer or guide me in the right direction.  I have 3 questions I need help with

Explain why it is important to use a fixed common reference point for dimensioning of drawings and sketches

Explain how to use other sources of information to support the data (such as electronic component pin configuration specifications, standard reference charts for limits and fits, tapping drill reference charts, bend allowances required for material thickness, electrical conditions required for specific welding electrodes, mixing ratios for bonding and finishing materials, metal finishing specifications and inspection requirements)

Describe the need to ensure that sketches are of a suitable size, use appropriate drawing conventions, are in proportion and are legible to others.

Thank you, any help is appreciated :)

Hi, I think you'd be better off trying a welding forum, this is for electricians, and matters pertaining to electrical installation, not welding and fabrication.

Phil is right, but I think most of us could have a good stab at the answers, however before we would do that the general way it works is that, you try to answers the questions first, posting up here your answers then we will try and help.

Good luck with course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain why it is important to use a fixed common reference point for dimensioning of drawings and sketches

Explain how to use other sources of information to support the data (such as electronic component pin configuration specifications, standard reference charts for limits and fits, tapping drill reference charts, bend allowances required for material thickness, electrical conditions required for specific welding electrodes, mixing ratios for bonding and finishing materials, metal finishing specifications and inspection requirements)

Describe the need to ensure that sketches are of a suitable size, use appropriate drawing conventions, are in proportion and are legible to others.

Thank you, any help is appreciated :)
well past my apprentice days, but rough answers are along the following lines:-

1/ If you measure from a single fix point it avoids compound errors. Every time you measure a dimension, there will be a small error (how small depends on accuracy of the measuring device), so if you measure, for example, 10mm, then from that point measure another 10mm, and repeat 10 times and the error each time is 0.1mm, then 10 x 0.1mm gives a tolerance band of + or - 1mm. If you measure from one fixed point the same 10mm spaces, then potential error remains as 0.1mm giving a tolerance band of +or - 0.1mm.

2/ part of answer is in the Zeus book (I am assuming they still give out the infamous Zeus book) which contains lots of standard limits and fits. These basically are short hand for tolerances, you may see such things as H5, S4 - it's all about measuring and producing work that will meet the designers specifications for size, shape, fit and function.

3/ Again all about conveying the above information in  a standard format on a piece of paper (drawing) you can read. 

Hope that is some use.

Thank you for your help binky! much appreciated.

I know Phil that this is an electrical forum but in this course we have a list of questions "Performing Engineering Operations" I thought this would be the best place to go to. We haven't had any notes for this or lessons in class for this, we are mainly in the work shop welding or fabricating so for me these questions boggle my mind a little bit. They said we can use Google to help but even then I still don't know if I am writing down the correct answer for half of the questions.

This is one of the questions, followed by my answer

Explain why technical information is presented in different forms (such as drawings, data sheets, and national and international standards)

They have used the format that may be most suitable for the given task. If you have a few pages of information to give to a class and wanted them all to learn at the same time a power point would be good to present, this information. If there is hidden detail it would be better to draw something out instead of using something like CAD.

Hi Emily,

Please stick around, there are a couple of us who are qualified in the art of gluing things together with molten metal round here! ;)

Your answer directly above, needs to be more targeted to the workplace rather than college I suspect.

The issue we all have is that not many of us are studying, or have studied under this "new regime" of the current PEO & NVQ system.