Why is MICC not acceptable?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just reading some DNO / MOCOPA stuff to try and help someone with their looped supply issues, apparently MICC is not acceptable to supply a cutout or as part of the distribution system.

It's in the same category as VIR!

But it's okay for BNO use??? 

Thank you.

Our company banned the use of MICC because it could not withstand the vibration which is natural on an industrial plant. Somehow Maglock MICC limit switches managed to slip through the ban, they proved to be a disaster. They worked on 100V DC once the outer sheath cracked and damp got in it was complete and utter chaos. Valves showing both open and closed at the same time screwed up the logic system causing total shut down.

I wasn’t the only one to see the back of them.

Probably something to do with most meter monkeys being too thick to know how to handle the stuff! I was talking to a woman the other day, her friend has just had a rather nasty fire in her meter cupboard, the service head caught fire, apparently whoever came out from the DNO, said it was just bad luck and didn't happen that often.

I said that if she'd recently had a meter change, then it was more likely that it hadn't been tightened correctly, she's going to ask her if the meter has been changed. It's becoming all too common, most network guys I speak to have seen loads of these issues recently. the trouble is sometimes the problem is covered up, or at least they try to.

A couple of years ago I was called to a mini mart, the owner is a friend of mine, he'd opened up that morning to find the place smelled of burning and he'd discovered a smouldering fire at the intake position, the head had caught fire. He rang the DNO and they arrived around the same time I did, the head was toast, the back board severely damaged, and the incomer needed replacing.

The cable from the live terminal was very loose, obviously it had not been tightened properly! I pointed this out, and the guy said they often came loose during a fire, I thought this was complete BS and said so, service heads don't just spontaneously ignite. The fact that he'd recently had a meter replaced also heightened my suspicions. My theory was borne out to a great extent, when, all of a sudden they went from, "you'll have to close the business while we sort it" to "don't worry, we'll set up a temporary generator so you can still trade while we do the repairs".

Copper stranded conductors do become loose in a fire. I’ve noticed this in several fire damaged starters, D/B’s, etc.
Not a great surprise as the copper will get annealed. there is a bit slack, and totally loose though..

I have a three phase suupply here.

One day, out of interest, i measured the supply impedance. It was well high on one phase... Turns out that when the service cable was installed, about a month before, the muppet forgot to do up the one terminal in the cutout...

The people from WPD told me that they are supposed to use a special torque screwdriver type thingy they are issued with, and, if they do not, they are liable to be sacked. Trouble is they explained, if you used the screwdriver thingy, the terminals were well slack, so they used to do it the "proper" way.. [when they remembered to that is!!]

john..

This connection wasn't slightly loose, it was hanging off, there's far too much sloppy work going on with meter fitters these days, I wonder when the powers that be will start insisting on all metal service heads and meters. lol