Would you mention this

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically nothing wrong as such, but it isn'r right and is at odds with good workmanship so I'd mention it. Maybe even just some relevant labelling would cover it?

Nothing against the regs in doing that. 

I can't make out the rating of the switch, is the fuse protecting it? 

IMO no code, what would you code it against? Other than 'that's not the way I'd do it'. 

P.s. I wouldn't do it like that either without a good reason. 

My eyes were playing tricks  following those strangely coloured , blue meter tails , specially where they cross behind the others .   I thought the polarity was wrong but its not.  

However I'm  looking at it as ....incoming Live to possibly 80A  fuse ..then to a DP   switch to isolate the sub- main.  

He's  discriminated ( probably) by fitting a separate  fuse from the Service fuse....he's fitted an isolator to the sub-main  .... it does the job ....move on. 

No different from the dno service head through fuse then double pole isolater.

completely different. you expect the DNO fuse / terminals to be live at all times. you should also not be touching it either. with a switch fuse, its reasonable to expect the fuse / terminals to be dead when its switched off. at least in this case its a plug in fuse. imagine if it was something with a bolted in fuse. have fun changing that live

Last edited by a moderator:
What is that connecting the fuse to the switch?? Looks like a bent up bit of metal rod to me???

john..
I believe it's an enamel covered copper link.  I have seen that in CU's for the links between main switch and rcd. Never thought much of it as it can't take much to puncture the very thin enamel insulation.

What is that connecting the fuse to the switch?? Looks like a bent up bit of metal rod to me???

john..

looks normal, some CU manufacturers use a solid copper bar bent to shape with very little insulation

never really liked the idea. its a solid round bar, the actual surface contact area at the terminals will be much smaller than if it was a bit of copper thats a bit softer and takes shape better. but still, they cause less fires than 5DW's

It goes against convention and someone could get bitten by it. Personally I’d alter it to the more conventional form.

That would be sufficent in my book to be able to quote 134.1.1 as a reg it is non-compliant against. "Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision....." even if its not specifically against the manufacturer's instructions, its opposite to the accepted custom and practice in the industry and therefore would not be considered "Good workmanship"

It was obviously wired by someone who didn't know what they were doing, the incoming live and neutral should have been connected to the bottom of the switch, this was a common thing with certain Wylex units iirc, whoever fitted it probably thought it should be fed from the top.

To be honest, I've seen this type of thing once or twice before, I even saw one on a small one way unit where the live feed went into the fuse, and the neutral feed went to the rail, the load was connected to the terminals of the switch.