Jump Starters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaker

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to write a safe system of work for using a "jump starter" to power a 12v pump. The type of jump starter i'm talking about is the type typically used for jump starting cars.

The jump starter I will be using is the Phase 4 in1 jump starter available in Halfords.

Description

Phaze 4-in-1 Jump Starter

The Phaze 4-in-1 Jump Starter is suitable for up to 2 litre petrol and diesel engines and for use on all types of gel, standard, maintenance free and wet batteries. It has a 17 amp charging power with a sealed lead acid, which is non-spillable and maintenance free.

Phaze 4-in-1 Jump Starter Extra Info

Suitable for vehicles with petrol or diesel engines up to 2000cc

2 x 12V DC power supply sockets

USB power supply that’s suitable for MP3 players, phone chargers, games consoles etc.

LED work lamp for clear visibility

Easy to read charging/battery status

Fully insulated battery clips with 600mm leads

17ah internal battery

Manufactured to European Electrical Safety Standards

Input: 230V AC (Charging Adapter)

350 Amp (intermittent recommended max)

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter

I'm trying to understand the risks involved and necessary precautions which need to be followed.

All advice welcome.

Thanks

Mark

Seems like a rather heath robinson approach to this. 

why are you using this rather than a standard 12V power supply? Can this installation be done with fixed wiring or does it need to move around?

Also depending on the type of boost pack it may not power a pump, not off the clip terminals anyway, I had one and it had a relay in it, if you shorted the clips, nothing happened, it needed a small voltage present when the clips connected to the battery to operate the relay and send power to the clips. I think it was a safety thing, prevent fires if the clips got shorted.

Lurch I've read the OP a couple of times and I'm thinking the same as S&S why not just use a battery. 

What I meant was, the thing in the OP is a battery, but with all the protection and charging circuitry built in. I don't see why you would (as an unskilled person) not use the pack in the OP.

But yeah, maybe some idea of the size of the pump and the amount of time the thing needs to run would be handy.

A safe system of work would depend more on the environment, (eg , accessibility, presence of flammables in liquid or atmospheric form), type of pump, proposed connection method, and whether already connected to anything, than to the source of the 12volt supply.