Jump to content

DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sign in to follow this  
Barx

Modern door, door contact

Recommended Posts

Barx

So, what are the options for Alarm Door Contacts on modern uPVC or Composite doors? I personally don't think it would do either style door any good drilling the frame channel section or the door itself to flush mount.

 

What's the norm.

 

This is on new build btw.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard-the-ninth

You never put a flush contact on a PVC (or similar) door. You don't know what you will hit, there is no room to flush it in etc, so that only leaves a surface contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barx

Thanks for confirming @Richard-the-ninth. That is what my common sense was telling me, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™

surface contact. you can get them in a few different colours to match better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UNG
10 hours ago, Richard-the-ninth said:

You never put a flush contact on a PVC (or similar) door. You don't know what you will hit, there is no room to flush it in etc, so that only leaves a surface contact.

Really!!!

 

Over the years I have never had a problem concealing contacts in modern doors and frames. It can take a little bit longer to do it and need a bit more attention to detail but that is the nature of the game.

I use flush, surface and a mix and match of both types of contact, on some PVCu profiles it is possible to conceal a surface contact within the ribs of the profile without interfering with the operation of the door. The switch magnet can be broken down and bedded in silicone sealant if it is too big or awkward to be used in it's moulded case

 

There are plenty of options that are only limited by the imagination of the installer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™

and if you break them down and modify them than you may lose your grade on them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard-the-ninth

Following from what Andy said, (Sort of) its all very well "breaking down" anything to make it fit, but its not really a good idea, yes it shows the person doing it has an ability...............to "Get it wrong"

May be wrong choice of words, but allow me to explain.

Some grades of systems have a requirement that all contacts have a tamper switch, if its in silicone it has no tamper switch, also when it fails and the next person comes to replace it, they will probably not have a clue as to how it (said contact) was done.

Yes, it looks good, but I have been known to say to people that do that, yes, very nice, now take it out / change it. Yes it has made me unpopular with the person who did it, BUT it takes more time to "faf about" doing said task, it also no longer complies, and when it fails, the next person will waste a lot of time trying to figure out how it was done, and in the end give up.

If a normal contact was installed it is quicker, saves time, and the next person will not have a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
phil d

In the past, I have used a very slim contact set, it's around 8mm diameter, but I haven't seen them in a while, then again these days I'd probably go surface, it's easier and quicker. In the past I've spent too much time faffing about trying to deliver the impossible to the ungrateful and unappreciative, now I offer a selection of practical and reasonable solutions to a problem, if the customer want's something that I think of as unreasonable or stupid, I walk away.

I've learned I can earn the same money for less aggro, yes occasionally I'll come up with an idea that far exceeds what the customer wants, and I'm happy to do that, however when I do get a stupid one, let someone else have it! I once had one wanted a socket, without wires, no chasing, no trunking, just put it there and make it work, I walked away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurch

Ignoring the physical constraints you may have a problem with warranties with it being a new build so even if you could get a flush contact fitted you probably can't.

 

I fit flush contacts to PVC and composite doors all the time, and I also fit surface contacts depending on whether it is worth the hassle or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UNG
On 10/13/2017 at 19:19, Richard-the-ninth said:

Following from what Andy said, (Sort of) its all very well "breaking down" anything to make it fit, but its not really a good idea, yes it shows the person doing it has an ability...............to "Get it wrong"

May be wrong choice of words, but allow me to explain.

Some grades of systems have a requirement that all contacts have a tamper switch, if its in silicone it has no tamper switch, also when it fails and the next person comes to replace it, they will probably not have a clue as to how it (said contact) was done.

Yes, it looks good, but I have been known to say to people that do that, yes, very nice, now take it out / change it. Yes it has made me unpopular with the person who did it, BUT it takes more time to "faf about" doing said task, it also no longer complies, and when it fails, the next person will waste a lot of time trying to figure out how it was done, and in the end give up.

If a normal contact was installed it is quicker, saves time, and the next person will not have a problem.

This post really demonstrates a lack of ability to read and understand a post before engaging the keyboard

I also think you are wrong with

Quote

yes it shows the person doing it has an ability...............to "Get it wrong"

You quite obviously won't go the extra inch let alone mile for your customers

 

And reading what has been posted I have never found a normal door contact that has a tamper switch there are plenty that have terminals for terminating the tamper loop should you wish to use that antiquated method of wiring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard-the-ninth

We will have to agree to diss-agree.

 

Also just because you have not seen a door contact with a tamper switch does not mean they do not exist, on the contrary some systems you have to use them. (Not saying I like them)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™
26 minutes ago, UNG said:

 

I have never found a normal door contact that has a tamper switch

 

youre not looking hard enough then. i fit door contacts with a tamper switch as standard. they are widely available. but then i do things properly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurch
2 hours ago, UNG said:

I have never found a normal door contact that has a tamper switch

 

You've clearly never even looked.

 

Maybe you should read and understand the post before engaging the keyboard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doc Hudson
3 hours ago, UNG said:

You quite obviously won't go the extra inch let alone mile for your customers

 

I have never found a normal door contact that has a tamper switch

 

If you go the extra mile plus the extra inch you can find normal door contacts with tamper switches.  for example: http://www.cqr.co.uk/contacts/grade-3-contacts/

I guess it depends upon what grade of systems people have to install. They are easily obtainable, but obviously if you start dismantling them to install them they will not meet the grade standards they are intended for. We have to be careful of judging or commenting on others posts when possibly we are not all assuming the same grade of system. As Richard says, there may be times when we need to agree to disagree and accept that things we have not seen do exist. Even if you do not normally use them.

 

Doc H.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  


FORUM SPONSORS

Electrical Test Equipment
Test Meter Calibration
Manufacturers
Electrical & Tool Suppliers
Electrical Software
Green & Renewables
Label Supplies
Accounting Software
Education & Training
Motoring
To Advertise and become a Forum Sponsor of

talk.electricianforum.co.uk, please

contact the Administrator

Here Thank You.




×