Modern door, door contact

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, what are the options for Alarm Door Contacts on modern uPVC or Composite doors? I personally don't think it would do either style door any good drilling the frame channel section or the door itself to flush mount.

What's the norm.

This is on new build btw.

Cheers

You never put a flush contact on a PVC (or similar) door. You don't know what you will hit, there is no room to flush it in etc, so that only leaves a surface contact.

You never put a flush contact on a PVC (or similar) door. You don't know what you will hit, there is no room to flush it in etc, so that only leaves a surface contact.
Really!!!

Over the years I have never had a problem concealing contacts in modern doors and frames. It can take a little bit longer to do it and need a bit more attention to detail but that is the nature of the game.

I use flush, surface and a mix and match of both types of contact, on some PVCu profiles it is possible to conceal a surface contact within the ribs of the profile without interfering with the operation of the door. The switch magnet can be broken down and bedded in silicone sealant if it is too big or awkward to be used in it's moulded case

There are plenty of options that are only limited by the imagination of the installer

Following from what Andy said, (Sort of) its all very well "breaking down" anything to make it fit, but its not really a good idea, yes it shows the person doing it has an ability...............to "Get it wrong"

May be wrong choice of words, but allow me to explain.

Some grades of systems have a requirement that all contacts have a tamper switch, if its in silicone it has no tamper switch, also when it fails and the next person comes to replace it, they will probably not have a clue as to how it (said contact) was done.

Yes, it looks good, but I have been known to say to people that do that, yes, very nice, now take it out / change it. Yes it has made me unpopular with the person who did it, BUT it takes more time to "faf about" doing said task, it also no longer complies, and when it fails, the next person will waste a lot of time trying to figure out how it was done, and in the end give up.

If a normal contact was installed it is quicker, saves time, and the next person will not have a problem.

In the past, I have used a very slim contact set, it's around 8mm diameter, but I haven't seen them in a while, then again these days I'd probably go surface, it's easier and quicker. In the past I've spent too much time faffing about trying to deliver the impossible to the ungrateful and unappreciative, now I offer a selection of practical and reasonable solutions to a problem, if the customer want's something that I think of as unreasonable or stupid, I walk away.

I've learned I can earn the same money for less aggro, yes occasionally I'll come up with an idea that far exceeds what the customer wants, and I'm happy to do that, however when I do get a stupid one, let someone else have it! I once had one wanted a socket, without wires, no chasing, no trunking, just put it there and make it work, I walked away.

Ignoring the physical constraints you may have a problem with warranties with it being a new build so even if you could get a flush contact fitted you probably can't.

I fit flush contacts to PVC and composite doors all the time, and I also fit surface contacts depending on whether it is worth the hassle or not.

Following from what Andy said, (Sort of) its all very well "breaking down" anything to make it fit, but its not really a good idea, yes it shows the person doing it has an ability...............to "Get it wrong"

May be wrong choice of words, but allow me to explain.

Some grades of systems have a requirement that all contacts have a tamper switch, if its in silicone it has no tamper switch, also when it fails and the next person comes to replace it, they will probably not have a clue as to how it (said contact) was done.

Yes, it looks good, but I have been known to say to people that do that, yes, very nice, now take it out / change it. Yes it has made me unpopular with the person who did it, BUT it takes more time to "faf about" doing said task, it also no longer complies, and when it fails, the next person will waste a lot of time trying to figure out how it was done, and in the end give up.

If a normal contact was installed it is quicker, saves time, and the next person will not have a problem.
This post really demonstrates a lack of ability to read and understand a post before engaging the keyboard

I also think you are wrong with

yes it shows the person doing it has an ability...............to "Get it wrong"
You quite obviously won't go the extra inch let alone mile for your customers

And reading what has been posted I have never found a normal door contact that has a tamper switch there are plenty that have terminals for terminating the tamper loop should you wish to use that antiquated method of wiring

We will have to agree to diss-agree.

Also just because you have not seen a door contact with a tamper switch does not mean they do not exist, on the contrary some systems you have to use them. (Not saying I like them)

You quite obviously won't go the extra inch let alone mile for your customers

I have never found a normal door contact that has a tamper switch

If you go the extra mile plus the extra inch you can find normal door contacts with tamper switches.  for example: http://www.cqr.co.uk/contacts/grade-3-contacts/

I guess it depends upon what grade of systems people have to install. They are easily obtainable, but obviously if you start dismantling them to install them they will not meet the grade standards they are intended for. We have to be careful of judging or commenting on others posts when possibly we are not all assuming the same grade of system. As Richard says, there may be times when we need to agree to disagree and accept that things we have not seen do exist. Even if you do not normally use them.

Doc H.