Test Rig

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastbruch

Reaction score
Afternoon.

I have searched the forums looking for a test rig to get me started but no Joy so far. I'm basically looking on making myself a test rig before college just to help get myself around when doing ring circuits etc when I start.

The ones I do find have either been deleted or photobucket not showing me the pics.

Does anyone have any test rigs pics please or if any one can give me any tips on how many sockets or lights I should use.

I have got all the lights & sockets etc cables which I purchased & a 6 way consumer unit & I would finally after a few more months there  luse it for me testing on etc in a few months but would like to get used to wiring it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Not sure how a (small) test rig is going to help you ............. the readings are going to be too small to really demonstrate anything useful ............... if anything you need a house to "play" with

Sorry if this isn't helpful

if its purely for testing / fault finding, it may be better to wire in  small CSA cable, i.e 0.5mm 3core flex, and leave some slack coiled up between connections. this will increase resistance somewhat to more realistic values

obviously, dont then plug in 3kW heaters into it

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have someone else to introduce the faults I can’t see how this rig will help in fault finding. You put the fault on and then you find it. Something isn’t quite right about that statement.

I admire your desire to learn but you have to have input from others.

Cheers for the replies. The rig was more for knowing my way around the sockets etc & the wiring of ring circuits etc would stick in my head.

thanks.

Just get a sheet of plywood, put CU, sockets, lights and switches on it, wire everything from behind. Feed it from a 3A fused 3-pin plug and 3-core flex wired into the main switch of the CU with earth wire to main earth terminal. 

Best of luck