Typical builders !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before going on I have indeed worked with some good builders , including  regular builder who, unfortunately  has had to pack up .

But there are still many  what I call  "Typical Builders"   .

A neighbour up the road  has called me in because his builder isn't  doing all the electrics he thought he was .   Its a kitchen  & dining extension  plus utility & shower /toilet .

Builder is doing plugs , lights  & cooker in kitchen  , thats it !     A wall is being knocked down with existing fuseboards  on it but  not doing anything about replacing it .  

Not doing any bonding .

Not installing smoke detectors.

Not fitting new board.

Not fitting any extract fans .

Not attended to broken soil pipe ,  future shower room floor swimming in  pee .  

Now concentrating their efforts on another job , one guy does a couple of hours each day now .

Shower room not started yet but wants final payment  . 

Customer had to waive a weekend away because plasterers can only come at weekends .

Before going on I have indeed worked with some good builders , including  regular builder who, unfortunately  has had to pack up .

But there are still many  what I call  "Typical Builders"   .

A neighbour up the road  has called me in because his builder isn't  doing all the electrics he thought he was .   Its a kitchen  & dining extension  plus utility & shower /toilet .

Builder is doing plugs , lights  & cooker in kitchen  , thats it !     A wall is being knocked down with existing fuseboards  on it but  not doing anything about replacing it .  

Not doing any bonding .

Not installing smoke detectors.

Not fitting new board.

Not fitting any extract fans .

Not attended to broken soil pipe ,  future shower room floor swimming in  pee .  

Now concentrating their efforts on another job , one guy does a couple of hours each day now .

Shower room not started yet but wants final payment  . 

Customer had to waive a weekend away because plasterers can only come at weekends .

Thats just abismal 

As for the final payment - surely that comes after its all complete....

It certainly does  Murdo ,  the guy is taking the pee ,  I didn't mention their RSJs were not calculated and were deemed to be undersized .  

The builder does not like me one bit  because he knows I've advised his client , who is my neighbour , and is a decent  guy  but he & his missus were carping themselves at the thought of putting themselves in the hands of a ....possibly...rouge builder .

I've just this minute double checked my copy of the drawings with reference to ventilation ...( nothing to do with me as a Sparks , main contractor's responsibility ) ...but there it is ,  Part F of the Building Regs ,  fans required in kitchen , utility  & shower room .     I thought everyone in the trade  knew all this  TBH.    

My neighbour wouldn't know this and I wouldn't expect him to  ... 

It certainly does  Murdo ,  the guy is taking the pee ,  I didn't mention their RSJs were not calculated and were deemed to be undersized .  

The builder does not like me one bit  because he knows I've advised his client , who is my neighbour , and is a decent  guy  but he & his missus were carping themselves at the thought of putting themselves in the hands of a ....possibly...rouge builder .

I've just this minute double checked my copy of the drawings with reference to ventilation ...( nothing to do with me as a Sparks , main contractor's responsibility ) ...but there it is ,  Part F of the Building Regs ,  fans required in kitchen , utility  & shower room .     I thought everyone in the trade  knew all this  TBH.    

My neighbour wouldn't know this and I wouldn't expect him to  ... 

So if the rsj is undersized, what are labc up to ......

So if the rsj is undersized, what are labc up to ..
Apparently  RSJs were OK for the first Inspector but another one turned up and decreed they were not right .

Builder has knocked out a stud wall & replaced it with blockwork  which supports the RSJs  at about 1/3rd of their length and all is well .  

They also had to double up some timber ceiling joists  which of course meant they had to "lose"  my wiring to the smoke detector above the plasterboard.  :C