HELP - poo coming out of rainwater drain

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently cleared all the rainwater drains around my house - 7 in all as a lot of them had been neglected by previous owners and were full of rubbish. I also used a pressure washer and most of the drains now run freely. One of them round the back was not so easy. It refused to clear. I put the high pressure hose attachement ( the sort with reverse direction jets and one forward facing one) down and still the level just kept rising. In the end, I just stuck an old mop down it and just vigorously pumped it. It seemed to clear. I came home from work tonight and the drain is now full to the brim with poo!This drain is about 6' from main soil stack.

Any ideas?

You have busted the wavin pipes and have now cross contamination between the drain water and sewage water. You'll probably have to get the professionals out to put a camera down to find the break.

Thanks, never heard of wavin pipes. House is circa 1920's would it be combined drains?

Do you have two drains, foul and  surface water? My first house the previous owner had diverted the bog in to the surface water drain.
not sure. there is only one manhole on the property and that seems to have only rainwater

Thanks, never heard of wavin pipes. House is circa 1920's would it be combined drains?

not sure. there is only one manhole on the property and that seems to have only rainwater
It's unlikely to be wavin if it is circa 1920s, could be concrete pipes, I hope the high pressure jet didn't break the pipes.

there is only one manhole on the property and that seems to have only rainwater
There must be another one out the back somewhere (or basement?). Assuming that the one you think is all rainwater is out front. Take a look at other houses next door and see if they have 2.

AFAIK there is no communal drain flowing across my property but who knows?

maybe its been blocked for a while and the solid backing up in the pipe, water still slowly flowing through. now that you have disturbed it...
thats a good point. Considering the massive trees we just removed from that side of the property I very much doubt there would be a communal drain

We have surface water AND dirty water drains - there is absolutely no connection between them.

Time to get a man with a camera or 2?
I have notified my buildings insurance and waiting for a reply

Or maybe the blockage that you 'cleared' is no clogging further down the pipe after the join. I would say they are joined drains with age...
also a possibility