Aico test switch question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wiring  a new build where the customer has bought all the parts (so he can reclaim the VAT)

5 Aico smoke alarms and 3 CO alarms all hard wired interconnect.

He has bought the RF version of the test switch, and a whole load of RF bases, because the man in the shop (CEF) told him that is what he needs.

Surely to use the RF test switch, I only need to fit an RF base to one alarm, and the interconnect will connect it to the others?  He (or rather the man in the shop) says they must all have an RF base which would be stupid with them all hard wired together.

Can't use the  hard wired test switch as it was not in the original spec so no cable in place to connect it, unless he wants it on a ceiling next to one of the alarms.

EDIT:

I think this is the switch he has ordered (it has not arrived yet) as the others say not suitable for a mix of CO and smoke detectors https://www.aico.co.uk/product/ei450-radiolink-alarm-controller/

Here is the manual for it https://www.aico.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Ei450_Instructions.pdf and that does indeed seem to suggest every alarm must have an rf base, which is just bonkers if they are hard wired together

Last edited by a moderator:
No you need to RF everything if you want to combine smokes & co’s if you hard wire, how does the switch know if you have a co or a smoke going off?

No you need to RF everything if you want to combine smokes & co’s if you hard wire, how does the switch know if you have a co or a smoke going off?
One would have assumed a different signal on the interconnect. There must be some coding otherwise how will it know which smoke alarm has gone off?, so if there is some coding I don't see why it could not be coded to differentiate.

So the customer is stuck with loads of RF bases.  Aico have just gone down in my estimation if this is the only way. (I was going to use Aico for my own house but I am ******** if I am going to pay for an RF base for every alarm.)

For future referenece (they say every day is a learning day) the lesson from this is wire the smoke and CO detectors each on their own circuit with smokes and CO not connected to each other?

So what can I do?

Disconnect the interconnect from the CO alarms and fit the hard wired alarm test switch?

The only reason for wanting the test switch (there is no building regs reason to fit it) is one smoke alarm is high up on a vaulted ceiling way too high to reach to pres it's button to silence it if it goes off.

@ProDave, before you installed the system and made decisions on the design, did you check the OEM instructions against what the expectations and requirements of the performance required by the client was?

I am calling on the collective wisdom of the forum to save me falling asleep on a training course.

So I guess this splits down into 2 parts now.

For this install, I might as well just use the RF bases. The customer has bought them so seems to have accepted the cost issue. So just don't connect the interconnect terminals.

The second part of the question is for my own house. I don't want to pay for a load of RF bases.  All my smokes will be at normal height so will be reachable, so I don't see any need for one of these centralised test switches. Is that correct thinking?

@ProDave, before you installed the system and made decisions on the design, did you check the OEM instructions against what the expectations and requirements of the performance required by the client was?
I wired it according to the architects drawings, smokes, heat and CO alarms where shown on the drawings and as agreed with building control. At that stage I did not know what make of alarms were going to be chosen, and there was no mention of a central test switch (I have never fitted one on any install I have done before)

The only reason it has come up here is the one alarm that's nearly 4 metres above the floor in one room so it's built in test / silence button is nor within easy reach.

Another question:  If this inaccessible alarm sounds, will IT be silenced by pressing the button on a different alarm, or is it only this test switch that can do that?

Then the designer is a twat!

Go and tell them so.

Look into the additional benefits you get from using the RadioLink+ it far outweighs the cost, believe me, what you can do and benefit from is awesome.

I've gone RadioLink+ in my own place, two reasons, lack of disruption to decoration, and the benefits.

Look, 10yr life CO's, battery & sensor, screw them to the wall, house code them, done.

Test switch 10 yr battery life, screw it to the wall, house code it, job done, it is an acceptable method of doing the routine testing on the alarms as per MI's, from one place, so you can test every alarm from one place as often as you like.

Never any need to press the test button on the unit itself.

You can mix & match smokes of all types & CO's and the switch can tell the difference.

They also all act as repeaters for each other.

So a smoke goes off, every smoke & CO goes off, you go to the test switch, hit silence, then hit locate and it tells you exactly which alarm has gone off.

Then there is AudioLink...

You can used a wired interconnect for the smoke detectors, but every CO detector must be RadioLINK. The reason for this is the number the CO detectors send out are recognised by the switch as CO. I was told this by Ei/Aico people themselves.

You can used a wired interconnect for the smoke detectors, but every CO detector must be RadioLINK. The reason for this is the number the CO detectors send out are recognised by the switch as CO. I was told this by Ei/Aico people themselves.
Before I commit to installing the whole lot, I will give this a try with say 2 of the smokes connected hard wired and I will report back the findings. Probably won't be until next week.

I wired it according to the architects drawings, smokes, heat and CO alarms where shown on the drawings and as agreed with building control
On the smoke alarm cert, will you sign the design box, or the architect? The nic cert I have has only 1 box for design, installation and commissioning

Radiolink bases? not modules? then your client has the cheapest of the range. Only way to get the control switch to illuminate the co/smoke icon is for them all to be radiolinked, although i believe the test/locate and hush function work with just one alarm linked. Ring Aico the tech team are a decent bunch.