Bridgeport power feed motor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikingjohn

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone point me in the right direction.

I've recently bought a Bridgeport series one.  Only got it wired in last week. and now going through the snag list. 

The power feed motor has no power at very low travel speeds. It does work and have plenty of power at higher speeds it also smokes from the brush caps

Can anyone tell me if it is likely to be just the brushes. Which i'm getting anyway or is it likely to be the motor windings as well.

The brushes are a bit oily  and I wonder if a seal has gone and allowed oil in to the motor and could this also be a cause/

Thank

john

It could well be oil, I'm not sure that the motor on mine is brushed though.

If the brushes are contaminated with oil then they will smoke, and if there is oil in there then it could well be a seal gone.

Strip it, clean it and make sure the seals are OK, and then check it out then.

If the brushes are contaminated with oil the commutator will be black in colour.

First off check there is no oil leaking in to the motor via the oil seal. To clean the commutator spin the shaft with a drill and hold a nylon rub stick against it. After a short while in use the commutator should have a chocolate brown colour (the patina) showing the motor is “happy” for the want of a better word.