Elex Sandown Park, the 18th Edition and Section 8

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to Elex today ...... not much going on..... not many freebies on offer!

I did sit though the NICEIC talk on the 18th Edition, not much to say really except nothing has been decided except the cover is going to be blue.

Section 8 - 

The impact of the 18th Edition (BS 7671:2018) – New Part 8, Section 801 Energy Efficiency - IET Electrical - http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/66/energy-efficiency/index.cfm

Should not be in BS 7671 - this should be in the building regs and I passed this comment to Darren Stanford afterwards, and he was in complete agreement.

I think we ALL need to rebel about this.

Thoughts

AND immediately before the 18th Edition talk, I'd sat through the IET talk on PME and earthing - with a representative from Stroma, NICEIC, Napit and 1 other on the panel - its fair to say they couldn't agree on the earthing of car charging points - so lord knows what will happen if the planned PME / Earth rods are introduced in the 18th Ed...... simply more confusion IMHO

Went to Elex today ...... not much going on..... not many freebies on offer!

I did sit though the NICEIC talk on the 18th Edition, not much to say really except nothing has been decided except the cover is going to be blue.

Section 8 - 

The impact of the 18th Edition (BS 7671:2018) – New Part 8, Section 801 Energy Efficiency - IET Electrical - http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/66/energy-efficiency/index.cfm

Should not be in BS 7671 - this should be in the building regs and I passed this comment to Darren Stanford afterwards, and he was in complete agreement.

I think we ALL need to rebel about this.

Thoughts

AND immediately before the 18th Edition talk, I'd sat through the IET talk on PME and earthing - with a representative from Stroma, NICEIC, Napit and 1 other on the panel - its fair to say they couldn't agree on the earthing of car charging points - so lord knows what will happen if the planned PME / Earth rods are introduced in the 18th Ed...... simply more confusion IMHO

Well, I was stood behind the guy with the microphone outside the "arena" when the car charging points discussion went on, the one who asked the question.

Darren is in full agreement that a lot of the changes should no be there.

My comment on S8 into the DPC was exactly that, plus it is already covered  by some of the Building Regs anyway.

The thing is Murdoch, you should have commented on the DPC, that is what it was there for.

I know for a fact that comments have made it to JPEL64, because I have had JPEL64 & panel members come on to me today and tell me that they have read my comments, and that the comments are being read out in committee & at full JPEL64 level.

The four on the panel were John Peckham from Stroma, Leon Markwell IET, Darren Staniforth NICEIC (Certsure), and Paul Chafers Napit, with Geoff Cronshaw IET acting as compere.

Didn't get much time to look for freebies, I was too busy meeting people...

#e5

Yes but what shade of blue  Murdo  , we need to discuss this at great length.   I have a  15th edition in a nice  blue but don't want to be getting them mixed up ...I'm not paying another £80   just to have the same colour  as the 15th .   :innocent   

Latest posts