Adding a fixture with a button to a circuit that has a swtch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie Erwin

Reaction score
Hello!

First off I want to apologize if I describe the situation incorrectly. I do not have all the vocabulary to describe what I would like to do, but I will my best. :)

I just moved into my new home and I have recessed lighting in my bathroom and two places for sconces. There is a switch that controls the recessed lighting and the sconces. I live in the Netherlands where the light switch is usually outside the bathroom, which is super annoying. I would like to install sconces that have a switch on their base as to avoid having to walk out into the hallway to turn the lights off and on. I would also like if the recessed lighting would stay off most off the time. Is there any way to accomplish this without rewiring my whole bathroom?

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

First off I want to apologize if I describe the situation incorrectly. I do not have all the vocabulary to describe what I would like to do, but I will my best. :)

I just moved into my new home and I have recessed lighting in my bathroom and two places for sconces. There is a switch that controls the recessed lighting and the sconces. I live in the Netherlands where the light switch is usually outside the bathroom, which is super annoying. I would like to install sconces that have a switch on their base as to avoid having to walk out into the hallway to turn the lights off and on. I would also like if the recessed lighting would stay off most off the time. Is there any way to accomplish this without rewiring my whole bathroom?

Thanks in advance!
Stephanie, to be honest with you, it will depend on how your bathroom is wired.

What you are trying to do is separate your recessed ceiling lights and wall mounted lights into two different circuits.

If there is conduit installed your electrician may be able to pull in a separate live to the wall mounted lights.

Also I think you are saying you are in the Netherlands so you need to be sure that what you can physically do is also allowable there. 

As others have said two way switching is what you need and with existing cables plastered  into walls behind tiles this can be a challenge but everything is possible if you can get at them.   You may find a very limited choice of sconces with switches that are ok for wet hands / meet the regulations there.

Latest posts