Element problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James08

Reaction score
I’ve got a 5500w electrical element with control box. The control box wasn’t adjusting the voltage. I had it shipped from the states and I’m struggling to find a rekacenebt here. Can anyone help?  

Sorry for being vague earlier. I have a large pot for wine making. But my element was running too hot and the controller box wasn’t adjusting the voltage. So I’m looking for something that I can replace the controller box with. Hope this helps and apologies as I’ve no idea when it comes to electrics. 

you seem to be confusing controlling the voltage with controlling the temperature? an element running at a lower voltage will run cooler, but usually you just keep the same voltage and switch it on and off as necessary to maintain the temperature

pics or at least a manufacturer and model number would be useful

How did you find that  lol. My instructions were a message through messenger. So what do you advise? 

I’ve had instructions how to make my own one but I’d feel a lot safer buying one from here. Thanks again 

im good with google

that and the website name was in the pic...

you be best with somehting that monitors the temperature on the tank and to switch of and off as necessary. probably not an off the shelf thing and something that would have to be built with various parts (thermostat, contactor etc)

and finally, how are you connecting that to the mains? i hope its not a 13a plug....

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. Now I feel a right dumb ass!  No no it’s mains connected. (By an electrician with its own on off switch and own fuse box). 

The problem is is I need to be able to adjust it as you probably already know it’s a still I’m running and it needs to stay at a constant temp with slight adjustments and before it was just running too hot.  

I used to to use just a gas burner but thought it would be easier jumping to electric!! (Wrong) lol

it would be easier with electric, if it was done properly to start with

not necessarily this particular one (just one of the first on their site), but something like this would be a start

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pid-temperature-controllers/4185177/

then you can set it to maintain whatever temp you want with no further turning elements on and off, or more of less power

Thanks for that and your time.  I’ll have a look at this although it’s a bit on the expensive side as I think the wife will have a fit. 

This may sound strange.

When building my darkroom / film processing rig I used an aquarium thermostat accurate to within 0.1 of a degree. No fancy varying current control, it was either on or off but it had a bulk of water to cushion any variance.