Been a prat and drilled into electric wire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaca

Reaction score
Hi, Please bare with me on this... like so many before me I have been a complete prat and drilled into a wire.  My question is rather than re-wiring is it possible to put a new plug socket where the wire needs to be joined?  Not sure if I have explained that very well but advice would be welcome. 

The problem becomes, there is usually not enough slack in the cable to insert say another socket.  If there is, then that would be an acceptable repair.

Thank you ProDave. I will start to breathe slightly again - tomorrow in daylight... unlike when I drilled through it.. I am hoping I might just have enough cable slack.. if not (and not really wanting to reveal how dumb I am) this is just about 3 foot above the circuit box so perhaps I can re-cable down to the circuit box to get the length.  

Still feeling stressed .. I hate electrics - will tackle most things but hmm electrics! 

A pratt, maybe, but hay ho that’s life.

My BiL who is a plasterer skimmed the wall I’d run cables down. Two guesses just as to who drilled through the cooker feed and the kitchen ring, his drill stopped for some strange reason.

Thank you ProDave. I will start to breathe slightly again - tomorrow in daylight... unlike when I drilled through it.. I am hoping I might just have enough cable slack.. if not (and not really wanting to reveal how dumb I am) this is just about 3 foot above the circuit box so perhaps I can re-cable down to the circuit box to get the length.  

Still feeling stressed .. I hate electrics - will tackle most things but hmm electrics! 

well that was daft, drilling a hole directly above a CU, right where you'd expect cables... not that i drilled a hole above a CU and went through a cooker cable and blew the main fuse a few month ago.... but in my defence, all other cables except the cooker, were in trunking to the side....

Hi, Please bare with me on this... like so many before me I have been a complete prat and drilled into a wire.  My question is rather than re-wiring is it possible to put a new plug socket where the wire needs to be joined?  Not sure if I have explained that very well but advice would be welcome. 
yes, but be careful about how you attach the socket box to the wall. You might end up having to put a light, a cooker and a shower there too. ;)

If you crimp you may (likely will) have to carefully expose the damaged cable somehow to make a hole big enough to get to the crimper tool end in. An option is to pull the cable out of the wall and make good the (vertical?), damaged line. 

These type of tools are a bit shoite for crimping:

http://cpc.farnell.com/ck-tools/430024/c-k-crimping-plier/dp/TL15153

(Though I still use one to cut screws down).

Much better is this type:

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03009/ratchet-crimping-tool/dp/TL08620

This is a join using heat shrink crimps with more heatshrink over each joint:

SAM_7959_zps2363d60b.jpg

SAM_7965_zps23d99cf5.jpg

SAM_7967_zps2abf98e4.jpg

Ready to bury in the wall:

SAM_7969_zpsb0245a37.jpg

Easy to do on a bench of course!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a hallo and thank you. It was a stretch but after seeking out several sockets where the neutral wasn't stuck miles away - it is done - what a result.  I feel nervous of using the socket but it looks well cool.  Just above the new shelf ledge (which actually is a version of a no more nails wood frame thing now.)   Worked ... so far a treat... We will see... if it blows then I guess it will be a candle few days or if the shelf goes then it will be a oh **** moment.  I like this forum and will no doubt be back when I screw up again! Thank you.