Downlighting and regs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John12345

Reaction score
Hi , just looking for some advice on some downlighting and where I stand , a client has provided me with 4 transformers with thermal cut out for there 4 down lighters which are not working , upon inspection of the 4 the down lighters themselves are not fire rated (ground floor flat) (2 story building) , I've reccomendedreplacing the spot lights to fire rated ones but the tennant declines , where do I stand injust replacing the transformers them selves ? Am I liable for the spot lights that i havechanged the transformers on??? Note : no signs ofthermal damage on the spotlights , no signs of thermaldamage to the cable , noinsulation covering the spotlight and a gap of roughly 5inches between plasterboardand floor above (wood floorabove) 
and the spot lights are in the bedroom, bathroom and 1 in the hallway and all lights are halogen 
Thanks

Note : no signs ofthermal damage on the spotlights , no signs of thermaldamage to the cable , noinsulation covering the spotlight and a gap of roughly 5inches between plasterboardand floor above (wood floorabove)

you seem to missed what fire rated downlights are for, its none of them

you could repair them but make note on MWC that they should be fire rated. if they dont do anything about its its not your problem

fire rated downlights tend to offer a degree of noise insulation as well. As Andy says, it's nothing to do with thermal damage, but the passage of fire past the downlighters to wooden floor above . They break the 'fire compartment' of the ceiling, assuming that is fire rated anyway. Basic plasterboard is still good for about 30 mins, but with holes in it, ie downlighters even this low standard can be compromised. 

Personally, when customers want to supply parts, I find it best to avoid the job. 

Its an interesting question  , we've had it before and I think  the legal situation is  ....correct me if wrong...... the owner is responsible for the state of the electrical installation .

An electrician may advise them that something is incorrect  but we are NOT the EP  (Electric Police) ,  if owner doesn't want to rectify something theres nothing you can do  but note it on your cert .   

Why do you need to supply a MWC for a like for like replacement

fire rated downlights tend to offer a degree of noise insulation as well. As Andy says, it's nothing to do with thermal damage, but the passage of fire past the downlighters to wooden floor above . They break the 'fire compartment' of the ceiling, assuming that is fire rated anyway. Basic plasterboard is still good for about 30 mins, but with holes in it, ie downlighters even this low standard can be compromised. 

Personally, when customers want to supply parts, I find it best to avoid the job. 

Sometimes things like this i prefer them to supply the parts, because if it goes wrong they are paying for it. I have had a couple half day jobs ruined when a product goes wrong a few months later and i lose half a day replacing it.