BT email

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry it's  me again !!  

OK  just spent 2 hours trying to create a second email address  for the missus ...had me dinna ...and spent another fruitless hour  trying to navigate the BT  site .  

Spoke online to them ,  they phoned me , then sent a "link"  .  I don't know what this link is supposed to do  TBH    .    Type it all in to Google  and you get the main BT site  .

I follow their instructions until at step  497  it  just seems to give up .

I remember doing all this when I first changed to BT   ...got my email address no problem  then did all this lettuced  to try to create a business email with them ..I gave up that time too!!!!  

Can another BT user help at all  , its a bleedin' nightmare  TBH   

get your own domain, have as many email addresses as you want. far easier and more reliable than someone else email

did you every get outlook (the email program, not outlook.com) sorted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our "family" accounts are all BT ... but my business has its own domain.

The big black mark against BT is their spam filter - once a month I long on to all 5 accounts, one by one and check the spam filters - despite many emails being safe, the DAM BT spam filters insist on putting them in spam - and this way you don't even know about them.

I seem to remember I used this to help me:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44888/~/how-do-i-create-a-new-email-address-(bt-mail-sub-account)-for-myself%3F

can't beat gmail for family so much easier to integrate into all the androids and google.

Plus its free!!

That is the link I was given  .....so what do I actually do with it ...it doesn't seem to take me anywhere useful .  :C

Andy  I emptied Outlook  as it was always saying  this site cannot be accessed ...  spent hours just trying to look at emails....  I left it open but created a new gmail  email address  which seems to work well  enough .   

*******************  @*******

We use BT for non business but like tonight theres emails saying  ...Dear Derek Evans  your shetland wool  has been lovingly packed & posted to you , so I thought  the missus  could have her own address .     We can have up to 11 email addresses on BT   but you just  try to create one   .   I'm not totally stupid  ,   ( honest)  I can follow prompts on sites etc  but theirs is a nightmare .   I don't see why it has to be so difficult , its as though its hiding . 

can't beat gmail for family so much easier to integrate into all the androids and google.

Plus its free!!
OK   You lost me at  " ..all the androids and google "     Perhaps I 'll try Gmail,   but missuss will say " I'm used to the BT one now " 

and now your email is going to be full of spam....
Ahhh Its gone  now  Andy .  

I found BT email too much of a pita to get more addressses, originally is setup 4 addresses pretty easily it has to be said then they or yahoo changed the arrangement and suddenly emails became a nightmare. I've now switched to gmail and have no problems at all. 

BT = Bol lacks telecommunications 

Sorry it's  me again !!  

OK  just spent 2 hours trying to create a second email address  for the missus ...had me dinna ...and spent another fruitless hour  trying to navigate the BT  site .  

Spoke online to them ,  they phoned me , then sent a "link"  .  I don't know what this link is supposed to do  TBH    .    Type it all in to Google  and you get the main BT site  .

I follow their instructions until at step  497  it  just seems to give up .

I remember doing all this when I first changed to BT   ...got my email address no problem  then did all this lettuced  to try to create a business email with them ..I gave up that time too!!!!  

Can another BT user help at all  , its a bleedin' nightmare  TBH   

Absolutely no idea what you do with BT!?

We've been with Virgin for ages..

Originally 1, then 3 then 5 then finally 10 email accounts for many, many years now...

We just have to log in with the master (original user account) then from there we have a tab to go and "manage accounts"...

all of the sub-users are listed with the emails we created. Currently using 9 out of the 10.

If I want to use the 10th one its just "add account"...

then think of the e-mail address you would like type it in to see if its available.    Job-Done!

We have family accounts  (wife & kids)  Plus I have a work account with Virgin..

Also have a work domain name & own e-mail accounts hosted by our very own "Cloud 9"  Guinness :Salute   

I can access all these e-mails via my trusty i-phone.....

(previously via Blackberry.. had to change to i-phone to be compatible with wife & kids on some apps we use,  "find my friends"  etc..  !!).

And also view emails on the trusty old,Dell desktop or Toshiba laptop ...      via Windows Live Mail,  both running windows 10

Wife access her e-mails via I-pad..

two of my five children access their emails via Mac laptops of some description....

So we have a fair bunch of combinations and permutations of e-mail hosts and access devices....

some newer, some older and a bit dated ...

BUT..

bottom line I don't ever recall any major problems setting up anything???

So can't see why BT's services should be that complicated ?????

In this day and age it shouldn't be too hard to have some routine/procedure/app/utility etc.. etc.. etc..

to allow easy set up for those who are less computer savvy....

So can't understand how BT don't have the gumption to have something that doesn't fox our forum top tech support Guru???

Very Strange Indeed???   :shakehead :shakehead :C

Just asked Brian and he said... :run

I'm not the greatest computer techo  I have to admit  .   When I was at school the only computer that ever existed was built  using valves at Bletchley Park  .  At the end of the war the so- called  brainy guys decided they would never , ever need the use of such a machine ever again .....and dismantled it !!!!    

Now even I would have seen the future in the Bletchley Park computer ,  I think it was called Collosuss ...but that was when the lefties and the PC brigade started to remove the Great  from Britain .  

I honestly believe it is hidden within the BT site on purpose  because no one could build a more complicated website as theirs .     Strange how Mr Flowers , at  BT's forerunner the GPO  actually built the world's first computer but now they can't show you how to create a new email. 

I've sent some bad karma to them with my Victor Meldrew hat on .   It actually says  ..you can have up to 11 emails ..then the obvious next thing is to provide  the way to do it .  

So today a BT bod phoned me , possibly not based in the UK ,  I told him it goes wrong half way through the instructions ,  no no , its fine ,  I vill take you through it ......................halfway through  it went wrong  .

He has now booked my a call from their  level 2 team for Saturday pm .    

Oh dear, oh dear deary me. LEVEL 2 eh?   ( you do realise that the level number is a direct indication of how many English words the ,"technician", knows and is inversely proportional to how much they actually care)

i am sure there was somebody on here who knew how it all  worked down to component level...or that was the perceived impression 🚓🚔🚓🚔🚓🚔 :pmsl1:

3 email adresses here with BT.  No issues on the desktops tbh. Using it mobile is shoite though.

Wife uses her account v.rarely as in not for YEARS. Logged on the other day and found some scrote had been using the adress in conjunction with buying a second hand Vauxhall. Dates back to the big BT hack a while back.

What is weird is that the wife and boy's BT Mail is totally different to mine in look and feel. They're add ons to me as the primary user. 

The thing is ...I know I'm not that conversant with computers  ... but I can follow simple instructions  ...lets face it Mr BT  ..just put a box there that says  " Want to create another email address?"    Click here.  

Its no different to myself , say ,  the regular things I use  I create a shortcut     

I think theres something wrong with my logical thinking brain section  or am I just stupid or is it  just the BT  website ?  

I now have a 2 nd email address but only with the  help of the BT Level 2 Team  who seemed to force entry to that section , I re- tried it afterwards and it's still closed off.

I just complained again at the convoluted , confusing  method needed to change my BT password  .  Had to ask AGAIN . 

I still havn't  achieved it  'cos it peed me off  but where is the logic .... you have to go to "Account settings"  ...how do you get there  ??  No idea !!!    On complaining I find   you start by  clicking  on your own name at top right and you get a drop down box .

Now how am I supposed to know THAT !!!!   :C  

Ever since British Telecom lost the British part of it, the language and communication has become lost in translation hence why I've jumped ship. 

Although in fairness my BT addy still works!