switched spur for extract fan off 13amp ring main,neon glowing when switched off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottotravel

Reaction score
Hi all

Just fitted a new switched fused spur (3amp fuse)with neon off my existing 2.5mm 13amp ring main to feed a new extract fan in new toilet.1mm cable used for feed.

All works fine except that when switched off there is a faint glow from the neon,sometime if flickers

My electrician who is a good friend did the job and he pointed this out to me but was not too concerned.

Wondered if i need be concerned or is this something that is normal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Andy much appreciated.

Will check the terminals to see they have been connected properly

I'm wiring a new house using Schneider accessories. The oven isolator (20A DP) the "lamp" glows very dim when turned off.  I put "lamp" in quotes as I don't think it's a neon, rather an LED?

Thanks ProDave

I've spoken with the suppliers of the switched fused spur who tell me that the neon or led should not glow when switched off.

These people supply Toolstation.where I purchased the unit.

Would a damaged cable say one damaged with nail or screw cause this symptom? 

I have not checked the wiring to the spur just yet but will do tomorrow Thursday.

Thanks again

Foolstation sell schneider accessories.

Either it's wired the wrong way round or the LED is picking up transient voltages.

Not being an old fart but the first time I came across an accessory with an LED I thought; uh oh that's going to be problematic, especially trying to disconnect them for testing in inaccessible locations!

:huh: why not a removable neon? 

If it is only slightly glowing when off, and much brighter when on, it could be picking up and induced voltage, I really would not worry about it.

Thanks for your comment much appreciated.

Yes only faint glow when off but fully illuminated when switched on.

Just like to say to all members how helpful you have been and thank you all very much I am very grateful for all the replies.