HIVE install removed old Honeywell Thermostat from wall and heating stopped working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scanet

Reaction score
Hi,

I have done a HIVE install and all went well until I removed the old thermostat, hot water still works but the heating does not now, I think I am needing to add a bridge wire but not sure where, attached is an image of before and after, the wires are thermostat brown, blue and green/yellow which I have marked position with color dots to show where they were connected, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

wiring.jpg.5a8086c2f28effc6c847470884d5bd04.jpg

which wire went where in the thermostat?

looks like someone may have been naughty and used the CPC as a live

i could take a guess, but itll either work or go bang

Hi,

The picture on the left is before removed and on the right with the wires removed but I have added colour markers where they were, all 3 went into the thermostat, I am not really technical and not sure what CPC is.

Thanks again

Oh, just to be clear this was a mechanical dial thermostat on the wall in the living room and not the controller

Here is a picture of the thermostat as the working configuration.

Thanks

wiring1.jpg.f8f0b2acb109df9a030ac03b57835fe6.jpg

Unfortunately I cant turn off the power at the mo, I will be able to upload in the morning.

Thanks again for your help with this

i meant the cover of the thermostat the you removed to get the stat off the wall, not the cover on the junction box

EDIT: scrap that, ive just googled the manual for it instead. in the junction box link what was the brown and the green/yellow

Cool, I will do that in the morning, this is what I was thinking but thought it would probably blow up, so did the installer use the CPC instead of a brown wire?

Thanks

yep, used the wire that should only have been used as an earth, as a live

on the plus side, makes a change having a DIYer who takes a photo before ripping out the wires then asking where they go

I read the title "HIVE install removed old Honeywell Thermostat from wall and heating stopped working"

No S**t Sherlock. What else did you expect to happen when you remove the thermostat that calls for heat from the boiler when the room is cold?

More to the point, you have not finished the job. The other end of the Hive thermostat should connect to where you have just disconnected the old thermostat, otherwise the Hive won't work as a thermostat will it?

I must just be old, but someone please explain to me the actual benefit of removing a perfectly good reliable hard wired thermostat, and replacing it with a very expensive over complicated  Hive thermostat, as I am just completely missing the point.

Okay. But explain in simple terms, just what a Hive does that the old programmer and thermostat did not?  I have certainly not managed to understand from their advertising what it does, other than cost a stupid amount of money for a wireless thermostat.

I would have left it as it was but it would have to be always on so when the HIVE wireless thermostat told the heating to go on plus I want to get a TV to put in the wall in the black Friday sale and it would have been in the way.

Thanks

The HIVE comes with 3 parts in the box

• The controller, which replaces the current controller and for mine heating and water (there are different types e.g. heating only etc) has a green light and 2 buttons 1 for heating and 1 for water.

• The wireless thermostat which has boost buttons and you can set up time on and off in 15 minute increment schedule

• The smart box which enables you to control through your phone from anywhere plus it can control smart bulbs which can also be dimmed and scheduled, power sockets etc.

I have Amazon Alexa and you can control by voice too, novelty but great and as more smart devices come out they can be linked to the smart box.

Think this is all correct but for me well worth it.

Thanks

control of heating and hot water from your phone. Plus lights and stuff. I don't really know why Dave, extra jumper and warm socks does me and mine.

My other half won an Alexa box in a raffle. I quite like it. But I am glad I am with NICEIC and not ELECSA.

Last edited by a moderator: