Multiple loads from one FCU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Birkhead

Reaction score
Hi folks

Apolgies if this question has been raised before, I can't find anything similar in the search.

I've been asked to wire up a bunch of small pumps to existing Spurs that are being used for hands free toilet flush units at work.

I have told my supervisor that it's bad practise to wire up two separate loads from one switched fuse spur. I'm sure there is a regulation somewhere that states this. I was hoping someone could save me trawling through my very old BS7671 book or Onsite Guild and direct me to the right place if such a thing exists. 

Load is irrelevant here as both units together are rated less than one amp. I just figured two flex's from one spur was a bad idea and each appliance should have its own independent fused connection. Thanks in advance. 

As long as both manufacturers' instructions permit it, I can't see a problem either. You can have separate oven and hobs on same ocpd. Only thing I can think of is inconvenience, eg if toilet flush mechanism causes fcu fuse to blow will the loss of pumps cause a flood? And if pump blows it, will it cause a stink?

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as both manufacturers' instructions permit it, I can't see a problem either. You can have separate oven and hobs on same ocpd. Only thing I can think of is inconvenience, eg if toilet flush mechanism causes fcu fuse to blow will the loss of pumps cause a flood? And if pump blows it, will it cause a stink?
Thanks Rob, I was afraid of that. Maybe I'll stick to that story. 👍🏻