wireless light switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
customers choice to go with trunking instead. that was original plan, but then i thought wireless switches may be an option. but one issue is going to be where to put receiver, no space in light and cant get it above ceiling because there is no access

Old thread but this out of interest, might assist someone:

The Quinetic 2-gang wireless dimmer switch (QUD12W) bumpf says it needs to be paired with the appropriate dimming receiver (QUR301). It DOESN'T. The dimmer switch will operate the standard 6A receiver (QUR303) to give on / off, no dimming function. I went into TLC earlier and they didn't know but were happy to open boxes and we wired it up on the bench.

IMG-20180608-WA0022.thumb.jpg.5d92c1a31e251b32622379f7574ae6c1.jpg

In this case it works that one gang of the dimmer will control / dim the downlights via the dimmer receiver. The other gang of the dimmer will do the ambient, non dimmable lighting, LED strip and Bluetooth receiver via a standard 6A receiver.

Guessing they just assume you will want to use dimmable kit with a dimmer switch so highlight the need for a dimmer receiver and don't mention it will also work with the standard receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't have hurt them to fit some mf terminals!

I've read elsewhere that with the standard, non dimmer switch in the event of a power failure with the lights on then down becomes up and vice versa. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the dimmers as they're spring action.

Might end up a few quid down the drain but I'm thinking to chrome effect spray paint a Quinetic 2-gang IP67 dimmer switch. Anyone done similar?

This thread reminded me of something that happened  last year, a friend had a friend who wanted a socket in the hall, they'd got a new phone, one of those wireless dect things with a built in answering machine. CU under stairs, socket wanted at bottom of stairs on same wall as CU, house is semi detached and the wall where the CU is is the outside wall, i.e, not attached to next door.

I discuss the options available,

1, chase cable in wall, not acceptable on the grounds of recently decorated.

2, small piece of trunking along top of skirting board going through bottom  riser and surface mount socket, rejected, not aesthetically pleasing.

3, carefully sink box in wall, drill through to outside, drill out from CU and wire using conduit and a couple of stop end boxes. rejected as too industrail.

I've exhausted all reasonable options and reluctantly tell this to the customer, "can't I have a wireless socket?" she asked with a perfectly straight face.

I had to wonder if there was something i'm missing, 

Then recently I heard another one from a guy working in a wholesalers, a foreign gentleman came in and asked for a twin switched socket and a surface backbox, he sells him one and the guy leaves. About an hour later, the guy comes back, the socket doesn't work, not just one outlet, but both, they wholesaler gives him another and off he goes, 30 minutes later he's back, this one won't work either. "must be something on the wiring" offers the wholesaler helpfully, "wire, what wire?" replied the customer. He'd screwed the box to the wall, attached the socket front, and plugged in his appliance, to his amazement it didn't work! I'd swear it was a wind up if I didn't know better. 

On a recent EICR I was asked to investigate why 2 sockets "had stopped working"  I unscrewed them to find no wires in the back boxes.  I never did find where the hidden camera was filming me.

On a recent EICR I was asked to investigate why 2 sockets "had stopped working"  I unscrewed them to find no wires in the back boxes.  I never did find where the hidden camera was filming me.
I remember my mum and dad buying a bungalow, the previous residents had got divorced and moved out, they'd been told by the solicitors that they had to divide everything equally, and they did, literally. Non of the lights worked, nor did the sockets, there were cables in the wall at the CU, there were cables at the sockets and switches, and at the light fittings, there was nothing in between however, they'd gone in the loft and cut the lot out, they'd even been under the floor and done the same with the heating pipes, lol.

The "fire doors" on the bedrooms were the best, tried to sand a rough looking patch down and it was just eating the sanding belts, It turned out they'd been smashing holes in them during arguments, realising that to sell it they'd need to do something about the holes, they'd filled the doors with sand and cement!

Latest posts