old colours

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think you should have made a better pole there steptoe

maybe have old colours and new colours used

Maybe admin could add some more options?

Red old

Yellow old

Blue old

Brown new

Black new

Grey new

make poll multiple choice and it should give a better idea of what people used in old and what they use in new

And for me - it was normally blue in old colours, mostly black in new colours

i think you should have made a better pole there steptoemaybe have old colours and new colours used

Maybe admin could add some more options?

Red old

Yellow old

Blue old

Brown new

Black new

Grey new

make poll multiple choice and it should give a better idea of what people used in old and what they use in new

And for me - it was normally blue in old colours, mostly black in new colours
thats the point andyc,

nothing has changed, just people.

L2 is still L2, it hasnt suddenly became L3 and vice versa.

thats not the point. people dont always go by L1, L2 etc. they go by appropriate colours. in the old colours, blue was more appropriate for neutral. in new colours, grey and black are both appropriate colours for neutral. its just some choose to use grey, some black.

and if you install a 5 core SY/CY cable, that has an G/Y earth, and 4x black cores, do you give it a danger notice if one of those blacks has been used as a neutral?

Nothings different in old colours I used Red as L1, yellow as L2 and blue as L3 on a two way switch but I know a lot of sparks would use yellow as L1 or commen but once again as long as they are sleeved or taped whats the problem.

Batty

andyc, I have done another poll, just for you,

as for going by appropriate colours, just what colour is 230v AC electricity?

that is why MOST people go by numbers, or some other positive rather than easily mistaken form of identification,

such as in the case of your stated multicore, L1 L2 L3 etc, I cant remember ever using any multicore cable that wasnt all black cores with a numeral identification mark on them,

the colouring in a 3core cable is simply a quick reference for use in 3phase, and as such is perfectly acceptable, hence the new 3ph rotation test being required, so as to ensure some one hasnt mistaken the number 2 for a number 3, its so so easy to get mixed up with all the big numbers.

perhaps thats why they still colour in the cable cores, makes it easier for people with a limited ability to see L2 STILL EQUALS L2.

sorry if Im sounding condascending, but it just seems you cannot accept that what you are doing really doesnt make any sense or have any practicality.

by your own admission you used to use L3 for a neutral, but now you find it perfectly acceptable to suddenly start using L2.

I really wouldnt want to be standing in a court of law trying to defend myself in that sort of scenario when my only defence was

"it was a nicer colour your honour"

Brightly coloured = danger. like the old RYB. darker colours 'safer' (in that they dont have 230V on them in normal use). or at least that was until the new colours. give joe public who knows nothing about electrics the choice of red, yellow, blue. brown, black & grey and ask which is most likely to be live and see what they say. remember, the regs are mostly to protect the idiots!

obviously, G/Y earth is an exception to that, but most people know what colour earth is anyway

Brightly coloured = danger. like the old RYB. darker colours 'safer' (in that they dont have 230V on them in normal use). or at least that was until the new colours. give joe public who knows nothing about electrics the choice of red, yellow, blue. brown, black & grey and ask which is most likely to be live and see what they sayobviously, G/Y earth is an exception to that, but most people know what colour earth is anyway
brown? ;)

you have some weird cows then...
No I can assure you it is green!

You may have all the spark qualifications but my 12 letters after my name mean I can say with some confidance what colour cow poo is ;)

:D

Brightly coloured = danger. like the old RYB. darker colours 'safer' (in that they dont have 230V on them in normal use). or at least that was until the new colours. give joe public who knows nothing about electrics the choice of red, yellow, blue. brown, black & grey and ask which is most likely to be live and see what they say. remember, the regs are mostly to protect the idiots!obviously, G/Y earth is an exception to that, but most people know what colour earth is anyway
so whats wrong with the numbers?

they only go to number 3.

Im not about to get dragged arguing into something that is not only stupid and idiotic, but downright dangerous.

L1 =L1

L2 = L2

L3 = L3

argue with that all night, the only person you prove wrong is yourself for now saying that 2 & 3 are interchangeable whenever you feel like it.

what do you do when you use a multicore flex with number black cores? do you not have a set pattern for what number does switching, perm feed, neutral, earth, signal etc,

just the same as the 3core numbers IMHO. the colour is of NO RELEVANCE whatsoever, as long as you wire it using good practices and sleeve accordingly.

DO NOT SLEEVE BROWN WITH G/Y L1 to L2

BLACK WITH BLUE L2 to L3

OR GREY WITH BROWN L3 to L1

that makes as much sense as changing L2 to L3

But surely when cables colours changed how did you remember what colour was which core. I found it differcult so to me the easiest option was to use black as neutral as that was what colour it was before the change. Trouble is know if I where to change to grey as neutral I may get confused if going back to previos jobs. What should haver happened when new colours where brought in the powers that be should have given some guidance but like all things they are rushed in with no fought for the consequences.

Batty

But surely when cables colours changed how did you remember what colour was which core. I found it differcult so to me the easiest option was to use black as neutral as that was what colour it was before the change. Trouble is know if I where to change to grey as neutral I may get confused if going back to previos jobs. What should haver happened when new colours where brought in the powers that be should have given some guidance but like all things they are rushed in with no fought for the consequences.Batty
how did you know for the old colours? 1 2 3

I understand this batty, but what about someone else on one of your jobs, suing your ass for poor workmanship? (or me even, turning all of Dolly's juice off and issuing a danger notice),or even diy bob getting fried, his lawyer standing in court stating that cable3 is the accepted european standard for use as a neutral cable your arguements on 'I used to use cable 3 but I got mixed up with the colours and I was afraid I would forget so I use cable 2 now' might seem thin.

it was well publicised I thought, eddys etc even gave away key rings etc,

it has actually been available(new coloured cable) in the UK for about 10years, just most wholesalers wouldnt stock it in case no one would use it till the regs came out.

I understand your comments about changing, but you should have sought guidance when you first started using it, bit like buying a drum of old red and black, then continuing to use it saying no one told me.

Sorry steps its not being used throughout europe. Hagers Rcbo's still have a black cable as neutral are you going to put a danger notice on there new consumer units.

Batty

just because colours have changed, doesnt mean you must use the same L# for new colours for neutral. blue seemed more appropriate for neutral for old colours, and black seems appropriate for neutral in new colours. the L2/L3 etc has absolutly nothing to di with colour choice in this case