harmonised colours

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what colour do you use for neutral in the new harmonised colours,L1

L2

L3
the letter doesnt have much to do with it... for me, its more of a colour thing. black just seems more appropriate as neutral than grey, so i use black. the fact that black is 'L2' and blue was 'L3', doesnt make any difference to me

my argument isnt about avoiding a conflict of colours, more in keeping the harmonisation of numeracy,

1 = line(or phase, or whatever you want to call it now)

2 = cpc (or switched line for fans etc)

3 = neutral

my argument isnt about avoiding a conflict of colours, more in keeping the harmonisation of numeracy,1 = line(or phase, or whatever you want to call it now)

3 = neutral
yes steps i agree with you my point is they have left a grey

area no pun intended if regulation xxxxx harmonisation

1=line

2=cpc

3=neutral

then when you come to work on a cicuit this is what

you would expect

nic ( i am not a member ) gave there members guidance to this affect

agreed pat, but if going by the old poll everyone seems to have been doing this previously, then why have some felt the need to change?

after all it was all about harmonisation, and that is generally how most other countries work, so if electricians in this country cant even stay harmonised with their own personal work standards/ethics how can they harmonise with anyone else?

no one changed the numbers one to three, thay have remained the same.

Why not make the cores in SWA blue/brown/green&yellow?

Or is that the obvious question? Multiple cores could be colour coded for 3 phase.......

what colour do you use for neutral in the new harmonised colours,L1

L2

L3
I wouldn't use any live phase as a neutral colour! I would use N (which is Blue) as the Neutral.

You single phaser's need to understand that three-phase rules! Damn house bashers! ]:)

sorry guys i didnt read the question fully and put L2 thinking that we had to vote for earth BlushingBlushing

There is no absolute convention concerning use of the new 3-core cable colours for single phase circuits. Brown core for live is normal but either black or grey could be sleeved green/yellow as earth. The remaining core to be used as neutral should be sleeved blue.

We could of course by debate decide an industry standard on this forum!

Then we could state which colour to be used as neutral and which colour to be used as earth.

Just a thought.

my argument isnt about avoiding a conflict of colours, more in keeping the harmonisation of numeracy,1 = line(or phase, or whatever you want to call it now)

3 = neutral
Where do you get this supposed association of numbers with function from?

The only link I see is that the L1 color was generally used for L, the L2 color for earth, and the L3 color for neutral (suitably sleeved) when red/yellow/blue cable was employed in a single-phase application.

But as L1/L2/L3 aren't applicable in that application, I don't see why that should necessarily mean that brown/black/gray need to be substituted in the same sequence.

Where do you get this supposed association of numbers with function from? The only link I see is that the L1 color was generally used for L, the L2 color for earth, and the L3 color for neutral (suitably sleeved) when red/yellow/blue cable was employed in a single-phase application.

But as L1/L2/L3 aren't applicable in that application, I don't see why that should necessarily mean that brown/black/gray need to be substituted in the same sequence.
why wouldnt they be,?

dont you associate

red=brown

yellow=black

blue=grey

or dont you worry too much about your phase rotation?

or dont you worry too much about your phase rotation?
Yes, but in the single-phase situation in question we have L/N/E, not L1/L2/L3, and phase rotation doesn't come into the picture.