Hello, I’m a tenant with storage heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDocker

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive been a home owner, though for a long time been a Housing Association tenant. 

Had some long standing issues with the immersion heater and now one of the electric storage heaters is not working as well as it was. 

Which forum on here is best to ask for information? (Primarily about storage heaters). 

Are you wanting to fix this yourself?

Surely if you are a HA tenant, then you just need to phone them to come and fix it.

If it's completely cold it's a power or thermostat issue. I have reset 3 already this week where they have overheated, probably because the tenants ignore the "do not cover" sign and place wet clothing on top to dry it.

If it is cold at one end it's probably one of the heating elements that has gone.  The trouble with that is it will be too hot to take apart straight away so you need to turn it off the night before anyone comes to look at it to let it cool down.

Hi, 

thanks for responding. 

Yes, the HA is responsible for repairs. But, it took 4 years to resolve a recurring problem with the immersion heater, I am anticipating a cold living room this winter. 

I’ve lived here 18 years and the flat was built about 25 years ago, so the storage heaters are that old. They had their first ever service about 8 weeks ago and as the weather is getting colder, they were turned on, primarily to ensure they were working properly. 

The living room storage heater had a convection heater in it too. Coincidently, I then had a problem with one of the heaters.  There was no clicking sound from the thermostat and after being on full over night, there was only a slight warmth from it. 

An electrician came out and replaced a small part in it, checked the circuits and the following morning, it was hot but cooler on one side. The following morning it was hot across the heater but it was barely warm by 6pm. The booster Nob was turned right down. 

The electrician came out again, different guy, and he checked the circuits - all fine and suggested if the problem persists, they would replace all the elements. 

Again, the heater was hot in the morning, but almost cold by 6.30. This is not normal for this heater. 

I don’t place anything over the heater, look after them well and as I work from home mostly, I get a lot of benefit from them.

As it took dozens and dozens of frustratingly pointless appointments to fix the problem with the immersion heater, I want to have as much knowledge about possible problems as I can. 

Also, as I am away quite a bit at weekends, and coming home to a cold flat after turning the heaters off, is it possible for these storage heaters to have timer switches, so they can be turned on the night before I come home? 

It sounds to me like the thermostat was replaced and it is still not right and switching off too soon. These things should be so hot in the morning you can barely touch them at the top.

It is a shame you have met incompetence and there is nothing a forum can do other than for you to keep complaining.

Tell them you think it is the charge thermostat turning off too early.

While he is there a competent electrician could test all the heating elements, there are usually 3 or 4 of them, and check they are all okay. That will take about 5 minutes once the covers are off.

testing the elelemts is easy, you would know very quickly if there was a problem with them or not. the thermostat is a little more tricky to diagnose, but really, if the elements are fine, thats the only other thing it can be. there isnt actually much electrics in them, its mostly just brick

id be getting the landlord to sort it, its their problem not yours, although if they keep looking at it and guessing what to do and still not fixing it, then you could get your own sparky to fix it. whether they would refund you for the cost of getting your own sparky is another matter though

When I call up next week, I’ll suggest what you said, thanks. 

I’m wondering if you can tell me if it’s possible to connect timer switches to storage heaters. I’m away most weekends and turn them off (to save money) but always come home to a freezing flat. Wanted to see if I can set them to turn back on the night before I come home. 

Thanks for responding. 

Thanks for the responses.

As well as being a Housing Association tenant, I’ve previously worked in Supported Housing for over 20 years, so fully understand my rights and responsibilities as a tenant. 

If I can get a timer(s) fitted, I’ll get written permission from the landlord before getting someone in to do the work. 

The responsiveness and consistency of how repairs are completed is appalling. As an example, when I had years and years of hot water problems (the wrong heating element had been fitted and dozens of replacment thermostats were unnecessarily fitted), they would book a plumber AND and electrician to attend Separately! They tried this at least 6 times. 

I was away this weekend, turned on the heater last night and was on 7. This morning, the heater was barely warm. The heater in the bedroom was on 5 and was nice and hot. 

Ive now got a third appointment booked for the 30th November. Fingers crossed, eh. 

Bear in mind , The Docker ,  that the storage heaters only charge up  between  00.00  & 7.00am    GMT   and you can't alter that .  You could however fit a 7 day timer to each heater  or selected ones  ,  then  omit the nights you are away  and select the night before you return  .    Then you 'd need to switch the timers to constant if you were not going away .    

It would be much simpler if you stopped all this galavanting around  enjoying yourself !!   :innocent        

😂, well I wish it was gallivanting. It’s been hard work recently. 

First things first, let me get this heater working properly and then I’ll see about having timers fitted. 

Which ones are suitable for Storage heaters? 

To give you an up date on the repair of the Storage Heater. 

I made a 3rd appointment (cancelled and rearranged by them at the last minute), it was the first guy that came out. He didn’t touch the heafter, just suggested it could not be repaired as they could not get parts for it any more. He left saying he’d make a request and it’d have to be authorised. 

Waited 2 weeks and called and made an appointment for a new heater to be fitted yesterday. They called a week ago to change the appointment to today, 11am-2pm. Text yesterday confirming a 2-5pm timeslot and today a text at 11 saying he was outside. 40mins later I’m calling the Housing Association and they said he was outside the ‘shop’ not my home. The ‘shop’ didn’t have any storage heaters in stock, so he wasn’t coming. Don’t know when the ‘shop’ will have them in stock. 

Now, I’d have thought given that the electrician knew in advance he was coming to replace a heater, it’s be on the van or ready to pick up. 

Great service eh! 

I feel so sorry for the landlord being fleeced for a new storage heater when I am certain this one can be repaired for much less money. nd it could have been repaired several times over while he has fannied about.

Do you have contact with the landlord? (not the agent) He might like to know what's going on and he might like to choose a different electrician.

The landlord is Wandle Housing Association. I have no empathy for them in the slightest, having been a tenant of theirs for 18 years and having managed their supported housing properties in a past job.

Just spoken to them. Barely any notes on the system from yesterday, just ‘no part available’

A manager will call me today. I’ll ask them for their authority for me to employ my own electrician to inspect and repair the heater and reimburse me.

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts