Tips For First Time Assesments.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green-hornet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have wrote this because we appear to get quite a few questions on assessments for joining a scheme.

I am a member of the NICEIC but other scheme providers would be the same.

So how do you become Part P registered?

The first part is to chose a scheme provider who you think will offer you the best deals.

To be registered with them you will have to fulfill some criteria such as:

[*]Minimum requirements in qualifications like 17th edition, you are not expected to have your 2391 at this stage.

[*]Have ready for inspection two jobs completed by you over the last 12 months.

[*]Have all the required documentation like Part P document (online version is allowed).

[*]Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671:2008 AMD 1 2011

[*]Health and Safety at Work act Documentation to include a Health and safety system.

[*]On site guide

[*]A complaints procedure

[*]Some providers will send these document/books out with your welcome pack.

[*]You must have test equipment to enable you to do all the tests you have to perform.

[*]An up to date calibration of your test equipment.

[*]You must have public liability insurance for a minimum

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my pre assessment tomorrow afternoon, as Im up North we dont have part P and I have to do the full approved status,

What the main difference from above, I know i need to show five jobs, but what else do I need.

Will he ask to see risk assessments, method statements or the like, if so its going to be a long night, ;) .

Any advice appreciated

I have my pre assessment tomorrow afternoon, as Im up North we dont have part P and I have to do the full approved status,What the main difference from above, I know i need to show five jobs, but what else do I need.

Will he ask to see risk assessments, method statements or the like, if so its going to be a long night, ;) .

Any advice appreciated
Who are you going with?

For full status or Approved the on site visit is more thorough, he will want to see the design and calculations for such a design, the cable management systems used.

He will need to be satified that you have a greater knowledge of the Electricity at Work act, a health and safety procedure, sufficient knowledge of the type of work you carry out. The testing stage can be more involved with deeper questions designed to test your knowledge. He will want to see your health and safety measures, complaints procedures, your liability and employers insurance a good idea is to have a professional indemnity policy as well.

Your site visits are normally conducted over a full day, normally you should have had a previsit at your office to check you are ready for assesment, this is the time to get all the paperwork ready.

So are following annual assessments easier or harder than the first ?

So are following annual assessments easier or harder than the first ?
I always get nervous so they are just as hard for me :D

Only difference is you are better prepared and know what to expect, so I guess it becomes easier in that respect.

I have to admit that since starting training this is the one aspect of the trade that I find daunting. Not something I have to worry about for a while and as my knowledge base increases i'm sure it'll become less of a concern as I become more confident in my ability.

Excellent post GH. Thanks for the insight

Pre assessment done, engineer from NICEIC arrived at 1.30pm away at 2.45pm.

Assessment booked for 11 May,

All your office procedures are satifactory then, and he has assesed you are ready for the onsite visit so your halfway there.Plenty of time to get everything in order.

Pre assessment, is something that they started doing about 7 years ago, basically they come to ensure you have all the relevent publications, test equipment, insurance etc, and to give you an insight into the assessment.

Its all included within the assessment cast of