Mandatory RCD's in rental properties in Scotland

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So what does this actually mean. "Mandatory RCD's"

At the moment a rental property in Scotland must have a satisfactory EICR. Whilst it is possible to achieve that without an rcd in sight, the vast majority will at least have an rcd on the sockets, but many don't on lights etc.

So what good is a bit of legislation that is so wooly?  Will perfectly good 16th edition boards now have to be replaced with all rcd boards so all circuits have an rcd?  It does not appear to say.

Sounds like someone in a suit somewhere has heard about these rcd things and said oh yes lets have those but does not know enough to make their requirements clear.

I have the feeling they are talking about 100mA up-front RCDs, possibly time delayed if final circuits already have RCDs for additional protection. Since Phil Buckle mentions fire risks.

Interesting it comes under energy efficiency, an RCD saves a lot of electricity being wasted, somewhere between half and full rated current is a lot of Amps over the whole of Scotland, probably enough to run the Electrical Safety First's Sauna.

I don't have a problem with mandatory 100mA TD RCDs incorporated in domestic smart meters, along with some sort of neutral monitoring in case of loss of PEN and obviously a DP isolation switch. Not sure if the smart meter roll out applies to Scotland, but it makes sense to let the suppliers sort it all out.

I don't have a problem with mandatory 100mA TD RCDs incorporated in domestic smart meters, along with some sort of neutral monitoring in case of loss of PEN and obviously a DP isolation switch. Not sure if the smart meter roll out applies to Scotland, but it makes sense to let the suppliers sort it all out.

A failed PEN isn’t anything the consumer can influence, so yes, I’d go along with monitoring within the meter. An S type RCD built in, I’m not too sure about.

The compulsory EICR for private residential properties is nothing but a pipe dream of the scheme fat cats to cream off even more profit for doing nothing. Also it would be so open to abuse by the less scrupulous members of our trade.

having seen how an immaculate rental property can deteriorate in 5 years due to tennants, 5 years is quite reasonable in my opinion.

Will perfectly good 16th edition boards now have to be replaced with all rcd boards so all circuits have an rcd?  It does not appear to say.

I don't recommend replacement of 16th edition boards, afaic, they are perfectly adequate for rental purposes