Happy Steve saying hello

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happysteve

Reaction score
Eh up :) ~waves~

I'm Steve, Nottingham-based. Electrician, though not time-served/no NVQ so up for debate I guess. A smattering of C&G quals, MEng in Electronic Engineering, and a tutor for C&G electrotechnical qualifications (2365, 17th etc). Stroma registered, and MIET. I like a good bubble set, and working stuff out.

It was the posts by SBS trade sales that drew me here...

Cheers! :)

Welcome to the forum happysteve, lets hope SBS trade sales recommendations do not disappoint.

Doc H

Thank you. :)

Yeah, it's like I'm Marty McFly and I've stepped into the future, with the DP single module RCBOs.

I understand that some things are technically challenging; and that usually there's a trade-off between price and specification... but the general lack of DP RCBOs (or even MCBs) in the UK market really frustrates me, for TT systems and things like caravans. Or just the fact that I'm not comfortable with a device that can detect a fault, but not clear it (SP+N RCBOs, N-E).

Welcome Happy, word of warning happy people tend not to keep the happy very long around here and once the merlot flows grumpy becomes the new happy  :Welcome:

:facepalm:

Thank you both. Appreciate the offer, Tony. Beer is good. :)

Just finding my way around at the moment. Already found some great stuff in the knowledgebase.

Thank you!

Hmm... I was going to upload some PDF-fillable model forms I'd knocked up to the TEF resources section, but I see there's some on there already for £4 a pop... don't want to ruffle any feathers so will leave it for now.

You wanna try the Screwfix forum @Adam W - plain damn viscious at times, I left that years ago.

The members on here have their off days, and I think most people can get grumpy after too many beers and a bad day, the trouble with text is it isn't always clear what people mean, and this can get taken out of context sometimes. If you are having any trouble please report it to the admins. Please don't get embroiled in a slanging match. An immediate response may not be forthcoming, this forum is run by part-timers and volunteers, so can't always give an immediate response, but they are doing their best to keep things on the 'straight and level' and will deal with any complaints.

You wanna try the Screwfix forum @Adam W - plain damn viscious at times, I left that years ago.

The members on here have their off days, and I think most people can get grumpy after too many beers and a bad day, the trouble with text is it isn't always clear what people mean, and this can get taken out of context sometimes. If you are having any trouble please report it to the admins. Please don't get embroiled in a slanging match. An immediate response may not be forthcoming, this forum is run by part-timers and volunteers, so can't always give an immediate response, but they are doing their best to keep things on the 'straight and level' and will deal with any complaints.
I've been on a few electrical forums binky, in fact I recognise your username from another or others, not sure if it was you or just a coincidence.

My point was that this forum doesn't seem any "friendlier" than others; the "friendliest" electrical forum I've found might also happen to be one of the quietest (and newest), and even that has it's moments (and self-congratulating members).

Eh up :) ~waves~

I'm Steve, Nottingham-based. Electrician, though not time-served/no NVQ so up for debate I guess. A smattering of C&G quals, MEng in Electronic Engineering, and a tutor for C&G electrotechnical qualifications (2365, 17th etc). Stroma registered, and MIET. I like a good bubble set, and working stuff out.

It was the posts by SBS trade sales that drew me here...

Welcome to the forum, I am amazed with a Masters that you haven't made more use of it.

I got made redundant from a global company and had to pay the bills, that's why I fell into sparkying, so no NVQ3 here either!

I've been trying to get back off the tools since to save wrecking my body & to use my MEng and further qualifications.! ;)

Only been on here or Screwfix, and I haven't been there for years. Binky, is of course, the name of Deaths Horse in the DiscWorld novels by Terry Pratchet.

The admins and owners have been rather busy with their own work and family issues, so the forum has gone a little AWOL lately, however I think it has more or less retuned to it's original intent. If you feel any responses are being 'unnecessary' do please report them, and avoid the temptation to get emboiled in an slanging match. 

We are not adverse to a heated debate (usually over politics rather than electrics) but as long as it keeps civil that's fine ( we all have off days mind you  :slap )

Welcome to the forum, I am amazed with a Masters that you haven't made more use of it.

I got made redundant from a global company and had to pay the bills, that's why I fell into sparkying, so no NVQ3 here either!

I've been trying to get back off the tools since to save wrecking my body & to use my MEng and further qualifications.! ;)

I suspect this global company wasn't Macdonalds or the like?! Perhaps something a little more technical.  

Last edited by a moderator:

I also have a Masters and my HNC and ONC are in mechanical engineering (learn't in an elctro-mechanical environment). Constant reundancies as factories were exported to China, pushed me into electrics, but I enjoy it, I bring skills to the trade others don't. The 1 thing I miss is the design work, can't stnd poorly designed products, like  most things we are supplied from China - things often get modified by me ( probably contravening CE marks). I am planing a slow carreer change to 'craft lighting'.

Only been on here or Screwfix, and I haven't been there for years. Binky, is of course, the name of Deaths Horse in the DiscWorld novels by Terry Pratchet.

The admins and owners have been rather busy with their own work and family issues, so the forum has gone a little AWOL lately, however I think it has more or less retuned to it's original intent. If you feel any responses are being 'unnecessary' do please report them, and avoid the temptation to get emboiled in an slanging match. 

We are not adverse to a heated debate (usually over politics rather than electrics) but as long as it keeps civil that's fine ( we all have off days mind you  :slap )
I've looked in on the Screwfix forum which may be where I've seen your username.  I decided that wasn't the forum for me so i don't think I even registered.

I haven't got into a "slanging match" on this forum, but as with many others there are members who see these forums as a showcase for their knowledge and belittling inexperienced electricians and new forum members, or as in my case those who post infrequently.

we can get frustrated with those who should know basic electrics, and are charging for their services.....  But some commentary had spread to new members and those professing to be DiYers, this has been 'sat on' recently, so hopefully the forum will be peaceful for a while  :pray .

There is also an art to careful wordings of posts....... I'll master it 1 day  :slap