Vehicle charging outlets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They've been doing this since the inception of the vehicle charging points, I attended the first course for free courtesy of the firm I was subbing too at the time. 

I'm guessing that all the technology is in within the charging device  , rectification , transformer  etc  any required MCB and RCD .

Whatever the supply reqirement is  , I' m guessing at a 30A   SP  supply  .  

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you wouldn't be dealing with super chargers & three phase installations on Ex sites... more them little rolec boxes that catch fire in people's garages...

Basically cooker points...

Cant remember if you need to notify DNO? :c

Can't find the guidance but it's in 7671 section 722 amd 2 (BGB).

Helpfully the IET have released a COP @ £60 to non members... :shakehead

£60     :eek:     

A few weeks back I wired a new charger for a fork lift truck  ,  it was actually a 2 ph one .   

Why do I need to pay the NIC  for a course  or pay the IET  £60   for a COD  I ask  .

Will there soon be a course  for lamp changing ?   

I'm guessing that all the technology is in within the charging device  , rectification , transformer  etc  any required MCB and RCD .

Whatever the supply reqirement is  , I' m guessing at a 30A   SP  supply  .  

fitted one the other year, twin 16a charger. 32a supply (ideally wanted 32a each but stuck with 32a max available for it),inside it splits into 2, each with an RCD, controller and contactor. thats about it

Why would the NICEIC  be offering a training course for installing these things ,    not rocket science are they ? 
They are not rocket science, but so many do not install them to the guidance's. Some are very dangerous.

As others have suggested - earthing systems or selection of RCD's are the main issues. The usual problems with installers lashing off board's that require attention as well.

I attended a C&G course a couple of years ago which was required as part of a contract at the time. To be honest, it was a waste of time other than having another qualification and CPD but I would recommend reading the IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation back to front and that tells you most things you need to know.

I looked into this  afew years ago, it appears to be not much more than a posh outdoor socket! What put me off is the paperwork for the availble grants that subsidses costs of installation, not worth the hassle.

They are not rocket science, but so many do not install them to the guidance's. Some are very dangerous.

Guinness

That statement is true of 99% of electrical accessories...... 

From Electric showers to Recessed down lights, or Garden pond supplies to Cooker extractor hood...... etc..  etc...

I am sure we have all seen some right ropey installation work in all areas of electrical installation.......

especially by...  Kitchen fitters, Builders, Bathroom fitters, Conservatory fitters, Fitted wardrobe installers....    etc... 

:C

I looked into this  afew years ago, it appears to be not much more than a posh outdoor socket! What put me off is the paperwork for the availble grants that subsidses costs of installation, not worth the hassle.

As I say we looked at this when it first came about, what we found is that most of the car manufacturers already had deals in place with - wait for it ------ British Gas for the installation of the charge point at buyers property certainly Nissan group. There was already a firm/manufacturer Pod Point I think they were who had sown up pretty much most of the market and had all the necessary structure to deal with the grants etc. So there didn't seem much hope in the smaller electrical contractors getting my much of a look in. 

So what are we looking at ?    Whats with the MCB    ...Type C  is it  ?   Whats with the earthing ?     You connect an earth  cable  I presume .  Oh don't tell me !!!   It 's got to have a rod ?            What would be the difference  between me installing that Fork lift truck charger   and installing an electric car charger .

Truck job was a 32 TP  C  breaker ,  a run of SWA  .  an isolator , a battery charger  (supplied)  .      Should I have taken an NICEIC course  ?      

In a domestic situation it's no more than a cooker circuit Deke, but when it moves outside onto the street things become more complicated, seem to recall they need to be TT(?), you have to deal with DNO requirements too, bang some more rods in will ya! 

The electric car market is rapidly expanding thanks to tesla proving you can have an electric car that doesn't look like a dog egg, in the good ol US of A the tesla chargers use 480v DC not sure what they use here, I guess 400v TP rectified :eek:

The fuel giants are jumping on the bandwagon too, shell are investing heavily into EV charging having just purchased Europe's largest EV charging firm to provide us with a cleaner greener future!

5a17c05271275_coal20power20plant.jpg.583e82ab9787f8915d7931d76fbb56de.jpg