Burglar alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right peeps,

Looking for an alarm for daughters house, not normally my field, so looking to those of you who fit these to know what's good.

Running cables and mounting things is not an issue.

Knowing where, is a little more tricky!

I'm sure we will overcome, with perhaps a little help.

Terraced house, 2 doors, one exit zone, remote key pad.

Entry zone, front door into hallway, two rooms off either side with windows onto the street.

Left hand room is a little open into the dining room which has a window into back garden.

Kitchen is an extension to the rear with door to garden.

No official access to garden from anywhere.

Upstairs, 2 beds in front, very large landing, and bathroom, window kind of accessible off sloping roof.

I am thinking something that will remote alert, but not fully monitored.

There will be a landline, and reasonable 4G coverage depending on network.

Very old >110 years so big thick stone walls.

Wireless is probably a non starter, but, floors will be up for mods and partial re-wire.

Any suggestions please on makes etc.

texecom elite. its all i fit these days

for monitoring, you can fit an autodialler. texecom make a one that works on a landline, for gsm use GJD's dialler. you can also fit IP modules so you can connect to it from an app on your phone.

the elite are also wired and wireless, so you can mix and match as required

Last edited by a moderator:
texecom elite. its all i fit these days

for monitoring, you can fit an autodialler. texecom make a one that works on a landline, for gsm use GJD's dialler. you can also fit IP modules so you can connect to it from an app on your phone.

the elite are also wired and wireless, so you can mix and match as required

where from Andy please?

i usually get them from security warehouse. dont expect next day delivery though, they are sometimes a bit slow on dispatch

they can be programed via keypad but its awkward. to do it from PC you will need a programming lead to program them from wintex, or if you are fitting an IP module you can program that via the keypad then use that to connect to program it

if you are planning on wired only go for an elite 48 kit (though you can fit wireless expander is necessary). if you plan on using wireless at any point, get 64-w kit. the wired has 8 onboard zones (expandable with 8 zone expanders), the wireless has 4 onboard wired zones. each keypad also has 2 wired zones, so you can wire zones directly to that

wiring wise, 4 core to all sensors & keypads. 6 core to bell. all wiring runs back to panel except any zones you wire to keypad (i usually wire front door and hallway PIR to keypad). wire it EOL, many PIR's have built in resistors, just move the jumper to right place

fairly straight forward to program once youve done a few, but if youre stuck i could either make a profile for you to transfer to panel or teamviewer to set it up

yes, thats the wirelss kit i use.

the new wireless kits also come with a wireless keypad, you can fit wired though and i would recommend it where possible

if youre using wireless, a big advantage texecoms have, if 1 sensors is too far from the panel to communicate it will use another sensor as a relay

wireless are quick and easy to fit, but need batteries every few years. wired take longer to install but are far more reliable. if it was my house, id fit a wired if running cables wasnt a problem

i usually get them from security warehouse. dont expect next day delivery though, they are sometimes a bit slow on dispatch

Whatever type of kit you choose to use, I'd agree with Andy, Security warehouse have a good range of stuff at reasonable prices, but can be a bit slow...

But for me....

fortunately their office is within easy driving distance of home...

https://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/contact_us.html

So I tend to order online then go and collect a few days later when I'm passing thro from other jobs!

relatively small outfit to my knowledge, originally an alarm fitting company with own team of installers,

then branched out into supplying kit via internal sales..

Never had any problems with any orders... just don't expect to be able to get stuff you need urgently.

Guinness   

For what its worth..........

Don't touch anything radio, it can / has/ will cause grief, not to mention each device needs its own battery.

If its your first alarm install don't get anything that is / can be computer programmed. Its a novel idea and ok if you do lots, but for a first one, no. get something that has a paper manual and is relatively easy to follow.

I don't use them but I do hear Texecom are ok (But like I said you don't need all the whistles and bells)

I would go for a hard wired system every time. less grief all round.

Don't be tempted to put smoke detectors on it. Just don't.

Remote signalling, don't do that either, you are on holiday and it calls you to say its gone off, what are you going to do other than worry all the time (its only natural)

Stay away from shock / vibration sensors  and don't bother with much upstairs, a P.I.R. on the landing is all most have.

For what its worth..........

Don't touch anything radio, it can / has/ will cause grief, not to mention each device needs its own battery.

If its your first alarm install don't get anything that is / can be computer programmed. Its a novel idea and ok if you do lots, but for a first one, no. get something that has a paper manual and is relatively easy to follow.

I don't use them but I do hear Texecom are ok (But like I said you don't need all the whistles and bells)

I would go for a hard wired system every time. less grief all round.

Don't be tempted to put smoke detectors on it. Just don't.

Remote signalling, don't do that either, you are on holiday and it calls you to say its gone off, what are you going to do other than worry all the time (its only natural)

Stay away from shock / vibration sensors  and don't bother with much upstairs, a P.I.R. on the landing is all most have.

I'm not bothered about computerised programming, I've programmed things a LOT more complex than an intruder alarm trust me, every one I have seen is really basic.

It's not for me it's for daughter, so if they are on holiday, then there will be family around to deal with any alarm situations.

Smokes and CO will be Aico, I am considering a link to use the dialler though.

It will be wired, wireless is a last resort unless mains powered wireless like the Aico.

Upstairs floors will be up so not so bad to wire.

well you could always check to see if its genuine alarm. either check event log to see if its only 1 detector, (probably false alarm) or multiple detectors as though someone is in who shouldnt be. also check CCTV if you have it. phone police and maybe catch whoever is there whilst they are there and not find out everything is gone in multiple visits over the last 2 week because no-one noticed after the first time so went back for more? or phone someone local to go check on the place and if it has been broken into, make it secure again?

What you suggest is nice in theory, but it doesn't work in the real world at 02:00 (Or any other inconvenient time) unless you are paying a key holding company, and even then they have to get the keys.

Calling the police doesn't work since if you call 999 from where you are you get through to the local to where you are HQ, and if you are abroad............. And if you can call the local station to where the alarm is they will want to know how you know, oh its called you. well we may go later not now busy.

What you suggest is nice in theory, but it doesn't work in the real world at 02:00 (Or any other inconvenient time) unless you are paying a key holding company, and even then they have to get the keys.

Calling the police doesn't work since if you call 999 from where you are you get through to the local to where you are HQ, and if you are abroad............. And if you can call the local station to where the alarm is they will want to know how you know, oh its called you. well we may go later not now busy.

Why doesn't it work when you have close family living nearby who are willing to attend and assist?

No different than helping any family or friends out, who are unwell, or have any other type of emergency needing a bit of assistance......

I still have both of my parents alive...

both getting old frail and rattling with more tablets per day than I can remember...

Mum broke her hip earlier this year.. all the associated mobility issues + other general ill health Parkinson, bit of Dementia etc.. etc..

She had a bit of a dip in her mobility due to a change of medication at the start of the month...

which resulted in four calls during the night, in the space of one week, to help get her back into bed after a bathroom visit...

My brother and sister did one visit each, Me and my wife did two call outs around 3:00am in the morning.

a Monday & Thursday...

Then come back home go back to bed for a couple of hours before work the next day.

So actually I can't see that a security alarm for a family or friend while they are away on holiday would be any different ???

From my perspective alarm links to specific people can work providing all are agreed to a suitable arrangement..

May well not work if is twice a week every week of the year..!

But the odd one off call isn't going to cause a major problem.

:C   

We're a designated number for friend's and relative's alarms & elderly parent's call systems. Made many a trip at an unsociable hour. It's just what you do. 

Installed hundreds if not thousands of these http://www.tynetec.co.uk/at-home-alarm-units/

linked to a call centre and a 24/7 365 response service all paid for the NHS/Local authority. They can be linked to many other device's. If the client had dementia they tended to Chuck the entire catalogue at them... temp sensors, smokes, heats, co2, gas, flood property  exit, you name it they had it!

All to keep people at home rather than going into care...

:(