New Build flat, Is this phone socket wired Incorrect.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O3gan

Reaction score
I have been having huge issue getting broadband into my new flat. The issue has been bounced between my service provider and open reach to no avail and I am curious if the issue is with my wiring (if open reach were to visit my flat and discover it is a wiring issue then i will be charged and id rather just get a local electrician)

The phone socket is wired like the below except instead of the cable that is used in the picture a UTP cable is used with the blue and white pair in the AB slots. I have bought the punching tool and am considering trying each of the other pairs that are currently not connected. 

NTE5.jpg.807f4a133201e85fb30ee9d7edfd7604.jpg

Does the above sound like plausible wiring to you? or is the whole thing a mess and I should call a local electrician? Does it matter whether the A or B slot contains the white or coloured wire from each pair?

Thanks for your help.

Olly

Apologies in advance for not having a picture of my specific set up, I am at work currently but will take one when home if needed.

No it has never worked, yes my line rental is provided by my service provider

open reach have checked the box on the street and my service provider has set an engineer to check the router who confirmed that there is no dial tone

if you have a multimeter, check the voltage on all the pairs

but if you are paying for a service you are not receiving then get them to fix it
I dont I am afraid, but I may pick one up. I might just trial and error it. its 4 pairs so 4 options if the A/B dosnt matter and 8 options if it does.

I am in the process of getting them to deal with it, but it has been months. It has been the worst customer service experience of my life.

I have been having huge issue getting broadband into my new flat. The issue has been bounced between my service provider and open reach to no avail and I am curious if the issue is with my wiring (if open reach were to visit my flat and discover it is a wiring issue then i will be charged and id rather just get a local electrician)

The phone socket is wired like the below except instead of the cable that is used in the picture a UTP cable is used with the blue and white pair in the AB slots. I have bought the punching tool and am considering trying each of the other pairs that are currently not connected. 

Does the above sound like plausible wiring to you? or is the whole thing a mess and I should call a local electrician? Does it matter whether the A or B slot contains the white or coloured wire from each pair?

Thanks for your help.

Olly

Apologies in advance for not having a picture of my specific set up, I am at work currently but will take one when home if needed.

If the problem is the cable to the master socket then it is Open Reaches responsibility and at their expense.  If the socket that does not work is a secondary socket then it is your responsibility. The Blue+Blue/White is the logical first pair to use in the type of cable you illustrated, as historically the cables pairs would be;  ( Blue+Blue/White 1st pair ),  ( Orange+Orange/White 2nd pair ), ( Green+Green/White 3rd pair ), ( Brown+Brown/White 4th pair ), ( Slate+Slate/White 5th pair ), etc.   The A and B polarity will not stop the phone working if reversed. Is your "faulty outlet" the master socket?  and as Murdoch asked, do you have a contract for a phone line?

Doc H.

If the problem is the cable to the master socket then it is Open Reaches responsibility and at their expense.  If the socket that does not work is a secondary socket then it is your responsibility. The Blue+Blue/White is the logical first pair to use in the type of cable you illustrated, as historically the cables pairs would be;  ( Blue+Blue/White 1st pair ),  ( Orange+Orange/White 2nd pair ), ( Green+Green/White 3rd pair ), ( Brown+Brown/White 4th pair ), ( Slate+Slate/White 5th pair ), etc.   The A and B polarity will not stop the phone working if reversed. Is your "faulty outlet" the master socket?  and as Murdoch asked, do you have a contract for a phone line?

Doc H.
Hi,

Yes the faulty outlet is the main and only one.

I have line rental with my service provider, is that not the phone line contract? Embarrassing mistake if it is not.

line rental is paid to your provider which is then paid to openreach to use & maintain their network. this doesnt apply to virgin who have their own network and is not used by anyone else

line rental is paid to your provider which is then paid to openreach to use & maintain their network. this doesnt apply to virgin who have their own network and is not used by anyone else
Excellent, and that covers the phone line contract that Murdoch and Doc Hudson refer to?

Thanks for your help all. I will try to persevere with the crappy customer service and get open reach to my flat. 

If you are with anyone other than BT, they like to scare you by saying if it's a wiring fault in the house they will charge you. What they mean there, is their obligation is to provide a working service at the master socket. If the fault is caused by extension wiring to one or more slave sockets then they will indeed charge you as that is not their responsibility.

As the master socket is the one and only socket you have and you don't have any of your own wiring, then there is no fear f them charging you.

You are approaching the complaint the wrong way If I am reading it correctly you are complaining that there is no broadband.  What you want to be complaining at is the more fundemantal problem, that there is no dialing tone.  That will shift the fault from a broadband issue to a line issue.

Chance are fixing the line will get the broadband working, so that is the first step to take. Once you have a dialing tone, if the boroadband still foes not work, raise that as another fault.

Theres more to this for some reason ......usually if you complain that you have no broadband  the FIRST thing they do is ask if your phone works  , if it doesn't  they test the line remotely without  visiting . 

Broadband however will work on one wire  , phone needs two. 

If BT have to  fault -find YOUR wiring  they charge  at least £90  / hour  so don't mess them about ...however if you only have  the main master socket  and the two wires are  pushed down properly  ,  and you've tried at least two phones  , then its their problem  to sort .  You have a phone number I presume .      

Last edited by a moderator:
open reach have checked the box on the street and my service provider has set an engineer to check the router who confirmed that there is no dial tone
Why didn't Open reach check at your socket?

Why didn't the "engineer" investigate the lack of dial tone.

Have you escalated the complaint to the CEO's department of whoever your provider is?