looking for practical experience

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagill

Reaction score
hi guys 

I am doing level 2 diploma in domestic electrical installer  city and guild's it's nearly finished only one certificates left 

I'm looking for companies or self employed electriction for work as electriction mate in Northampton to gain practical experience. I can drive 

please need your help and advice 

Try the agencies as an electrical labourer or as a mate, then move on to improver standard. Do you have your CSCS card at all? Another free bit of advice, keep all of your certs in a safe place, they can be a ****** to replace.

Andy Guinness
thanks for your advice 

I don't have cscs card right now cos my one module left 

it's really embarrassing for me I talk too many electriction no one is willing to take me 

even I m ready to work free!

I don't know why people are not sharing their knowledge and experience?

:Welcome:   might be worth trying building sites.
good idea will try 

There's a whole string of reasons for not helping people in your situation, the main on being 'can't be arsed' .

Most people are very busy, so anything that slows work down or could be a potential for problems is not welcome (bit short sighted really). Plus there's issues around insurance and legal liability, employment legislation, and they don't know you. Trouble is, with the hefty load of paperwork needed to employ people these days, many small companies find it easier to stay as 1 man bands. I have returned to this myself after previously employing 5 people, it's so much less stress. I have a friend who helps me as and when needed for jobs that really need 2 people, but have no intention of ever taking anyone on again, ever, or an apprentice. I had the same problems as you when I retrained 12 years ago, I ended up doing all the small jobs no-one else wanted, odd sockets, changing lights etc etc. I also did some site work which gave me a few good contacts to work and learn from. Perserverance will get you where you want to go eventually, but it will be  fight.

There's a whole string of reasons for not helping people in your situation, the main on being 'can't be arsed' .

Most people are very busy, so anything that slows work down or could be a potential for problems is not welcome (bit short sighted really). Plus there's issues around insurance and legal liability, employment legislation, and they don't know you. Trouble is, with the hefty load of paperwork needed to employ people these days, many small companies find it easier to stay as 1 man bands. I have returned to this myself after previously employing 5 people, it's so much less stress. I have a friend who helps me as and when needed for jobs that really need 2 people, but have no intention of ever taking anyone on again, ever, or an apprentice. I had the same problems as you when I retrained 12 years ago, I ended up doing all the small jobs no-one else wanted, odd sockets, changing lights etc etc. I also did some site work which gave me a few good contacts to work and learn from. Perserverance will get you where you want to go eventually, but it will be  fight.
agree with you. but always new people are slow learners and especially looks more slower to very skillfull people. 

I know some people who are doing everything like masonry plumber electriction work their own

but problem to work these people is you will learn electrical work on turn when they will do electrical work.

what you suggest I should start with these people?

benefit to work is that you can learn other jobs as well like masonry plumber etc job.

multi-skilling is not  a bad idea, especially learning ow to fill wall chases to a resonable standard. I have brought skills from metal working and aircraft fitting to my little world of electrics, it helps with certain jobs sometimes, especially solar work - my installations have  a large nod to long term reliability that most fitters have no idea about.

multi-skilling is not  a bad idea, especially learning ow to fill wall chases to a resonable standard. I have brought skills from metal working and aircraft fitting to my little world of electrics, it helps with certain jobs sometimes, especially solar work - my installations have  a large nod to long term reliability that most fitters have no idea about.
thanks man 

but it's not easy to learn multi skillng it's time consuming activity 

I will keep on trying to find s electriction if not then I had no option except going for multi skill 

Sag, how old are you? 

Have you done a google search for sparks in your area- then pay them a visit don't rely on posted effort as if they're not looking then they'll just bin it, however if you go direct you may be able to negotiate with them. 

Sag, how old are you? 

Have you done a google search for sparks in your area- then pay them a visit don't rely on posted effort as if they're not looking then they'll just bin it, however if you go direct you may be able to negotiate with them. 
I'm nearly 40 years old some people say we are looking for young guy and some people day it's good mature people are more keen in learing .

I talk to spark as well 

they said we don't need any trainee at the moment. 

I googled local electriction and called and text them but not successful so far.

Ok so here's what you need to do, call the local council, find out if you can the name of the firm doing all their upgrade work, then get in contact with them, these firms are always a) looking for staff, b) always willing to give an older person a try - comes with the mature ethic of working in people's homes. 

thanks for your advice 

I don't have cscs card right now cos my one module left 

it's really embarrassing for me I talk too many electriction no one is willing to take me 

even I m ready to work free!

I don't know why people are not sharing their knowledge and experience?

good idea will try 

hi guys 

I am doing level 2 diploma in domestic electrical installer  city and guild's it's nearly finished only one certificates left 

I'm looking for companies or self employed electriction for work as electriction mate in Northampton to gain practical experience. I can drive 

please need your help and advice 

I would think you will need to find employment with a small company, unless you have your own public liability insurance. As self employed traders would find their insurance is invalid if your work caused damage to property or injury to a person on a job you were assisting at. i.e. The self employed person will have declared there is only one person undertaking the work on behalf of their business and their insurance cover and premiums will have been based around this fact. So it is not about if people are willing or unwilling to share their knowledge or practical experience with someone willing to learn. But more about legal liabilities and responsibilities for any company undertaking an agreed contract of work for a client. I wish you well with your search, but I suspect it is going to be a hard slog. What were you doing before, for your previous 20+  employable years? (That may have some relevance upon a companies willingness to employ you?)

Doc H. 

Multi-skilling may take longer, but it will give you a good appreciation of other trades, how they work, how running cables can cause problems for them (and their work cause problems for you) and there are several cross-over points like electric showers, to change one does involve some basic plumbing work. The most difficult part of wiring is the physical construction of houses, this can be learn't from many trades. The most important thing is that you will be working with experienced people, electrical or not. You will find appreciation of other trades is very useful further down the line, co-operation is the key to jobs like kitchen and bathroom fitting.

Multi-skilling may take longer, but it will give you a good appreciation of other trades, how they work, how running cables can cause problems for them (and their work cause problems for you) and there are several cross-over points like electric showers, to change one does involve some basic plumbing work. The most difficult part of wiring is the physical construction of houses, this can be learn't from many trades. The most important thing is that you will be working with experienced people, electrical or not. You will find appreciation of other trades is very useful further down the line, co-operation is the key to jobs like kitchen and bathroom fitting.
good but problem is that I'm already 40 years old it's seems I will spend whole life in learing and will not enjoy a career 

I had same feeling learing other job is much time taking activities 

if you are young then it's best idea learn everything 

thanks for your advice 

let's see how thing proceed !

you still got 25 years to retirement......everyday is a learning day!

You don't need to become fully qualified plumber, plasterer etc etc, just gain some basic skills to help out the guys you know who can give you work until you are ready to go fully electrical.

Try the agencies as an electrical labourer or as a mate, then move on to improver standard. Do you have your CSCS card at all? Another free bit of advice, keep all of your certs in a safe place, they can be a ****** to replace.

Andy Guinness
To say that replacing lost certs is a ****** it is the understatement of the year. I can back up your comments wholeheartedly.

hi guys 

so disappointed at the moment 

try two electriction both refused in 2nd week  saying you are not good in practical field and haven't practical experience !!

hi guys 

so disappointed at the moment 

try two electriction both refused in 2nd week  saying you are not good in practical field and haven't practical experience !!
Is there any practical based courses at a local college, not just electrical courses but anything that involves using tools to develop hand skills. I apologise if I have got the wrong meaning from your post but it sounds like that might be contributing to your lack of success.

Many years ago I use to run training courses for new start apprentices and even although they had no electrical skills I could tell instantly if they had used tools before.

It is amazing how a childhood of say fixing bikes etc subconsciously gave them a set of basic hand skills.

Good luck