new oven

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwg 1591

Reaction score
I have just bought my daughter a s/hand built in oven 2.3 kw in great condition however it is missing its cable and plug. is it reasonable for me to believe that a 16amp white cable and 13amp plug would be the way to go ?

That would suffice, however be sure to use the cooker circuit to plug into, which leads me to ask what is on the end of the cooker circuit, an outlet plate or a socket?

I've never been a fan of plugs on ovens, they can last quite a few years, but do tend to burn out the socket they are plugged into eventually. How was your daughters previos oven connected?

I've never been a fan of plugs on ovens, they can last quite a few years, but do tend to burn out the socket they are plugged into eventually. How was your daughters previos oven connected?
I agree, made worse by the socket being installed directly behind the oven, so the oven adds its own heating effect. I have seen ovens in contact with the back of the plug.

The cooker you quote  will pull around 10 Amps  which should be fine for a quality socket and plug top  but I doubt there is such a thing these days  .    Just wondering why the original flex has been removed .    

Generally speaking ,  cookers  of that size come with a flex/ plug fitted   ....cookers  approaching 3 KW  & over  are hard wired  so  no flex fitted.  

The theory says your will be fine plugged in .  

Personally I'd go with some 2.5mm flex TBH.

Last edited by a moderator: