Fitting PIR security light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY GUY

Reaction score
I had an old grubby light fitted to the outside of my house. Not a security light just a normal light. I’m after fitting a new light to it, the light had a bulb holder style bit for wiring the live and neutral into (black neutral white live) no were for earth to go so put earth into terminal block with insulation tape around it. Problem is soon as I’ve put power back on the light isn’t going out or switching of at what I’m assuming is the switch for the light as it’s directly below it on the inside of house, can anyone help please 

How many wires / cables are at the fitting, is it just 1 x twin & earth?

Did the old one switch off, or just never work?

Has the inside switch been changed at any point?

Cheers

Yeah just 1x twin earth

When we moved in it was just not working, maybe build was just burnt out, but fitted new one there and it’s constantly on. 

Theres a new chrome single switch fitted pretty close by which I though it was maybe being powered from but opened it up just there and the cable that’s being wired into light isn’t to be seen behind switch. 

So confused 

When I turn the breaker of marked (downstairs lights) it goes out. Just can’t figure out where’s going and why it’s not going of 

Hmmm, ok. Did you say you have had the switch off the wall? what does that  look like inside (Disclaimer, don't die or even attempt if your not confident. Advise turning power off first).

Does switching the switch do nothing, anywhere in the house?

It could be that the swithch is for the light, but connected wrong.

There’s a security spot light above it on same wall which is wired to a fused switch but that is switched of ?

This is inside of switch but the cable that’s wired into outside light is white black and earth which isn’t inside here

43771BB6-C395-4638-9766-599838CF651D.jpeg

It may also be that the switch for the light is infact a scarlet fish, and that the light that was there had either a PIR or a photocell built in and so does not need to be switched off.

Thanks for all help, I’ve now traced the cable , its going to the single switch in my kitchen, although the single switch doesn’t seem to switch it on of. Maybe wired wrong? Should there be a double switch, one to control outside whilst the other controls the kitchen light?

Hey guys, I have a fuse box in my garage, a breaker on it powers a constant light on the outside of my garage. Can I remove the old lamp and replace it with a pir security light. So when nothing’s there it’s of but once movement happens it lights? 

Cheers 

Hold on a minute Paul, this outside light that you originally spoke of- is that the same as the one outside the garage you speak of?

what does the switch in the kitchen switch? Kitchen light?

Hi sorry I didn’t realise I’d continued a different topic on this other topic. I was meant to create a new topic. No it’s a different light on garage running straight to fuse box, would a PIR work on that cable running direct to my fuse box? 

Yeah in the kitchen I have a double dimmer switch controlling both ceiling lights on other side of kitchen I have a switch that puts one of the kitchen lights on and off, this is the switch that outside light is wired to and is constantly on wether switch is on or of ? 

There’s about 4 cables roughly in this switch

I’m not bothered at all with it being able to control one kitchen light as I can use dimmer for this. I’d like the switch even to just be used for outside light only, is this possible cheers

Ok so first things first, the garage, you can change the garage light for a security pir light, be sure to isolate supply first. 

Now on this kitchen switch have you a photo of it or is it the earlier photo? If 

Great thanks. 

Yes it’s the pic from earlier on, I can try get more tommorow if you need more details of back of switch etc?

Yes double dimmer switch works fine

And the single switch that outside light is wire to works fine to kill one ceiling light

Not sure why single switch would only kill one ceiling light and not both