tree sap on paint.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I have LIme trees along my road which unfortuately I end up parking van under sometimes. Now said tree sap has gone rather black (soot mould) depsite being washed occasionally. I've tried removing with elbow grease, and tar remover - sort or works but not satisfactory and takes ages. Does anyone know of a good tree sap remover? 

Butter, works well with bitumen, worth a shot. 

It also works extremely well removing bitumen from your hair, should you ever get any in it. 

I used to have a Transit  parked under Sycamore trees , the whole roof had black  sooty , stubborn spores over it .  Didn't notice it for ages  as I never washed the roof .  I think I ended up using Jif  , never really got rid of it TBH . 

Give it a good soak with hot water and try to blast it off with a power hose.

Failing that head down to halfrauds and get some auto glym tar remover.

Last resort would be rubbing compound but much elbow grease would also be required.

I also have lime trees... a coat of wax works wonders

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Butter the van - I'll have every cat in the neighbourhood on the roof  :^O

I've been told that natural Turpentine can work wonders, I've tried tar remover, which is  a bit better than soap and water, nylon scouring pad works reasonaly well, but will take all day. Think I might try the Polish car wash, and I was considering taking the roof bars off and using drive through car wash. I did try a pressure washer, but it doesn't get into the ingrained stuff that well

Wax certainly helps, but it's  abit late for that, the joy of being too busy, might have to try T-cut or colour restorer type product then wax the hell out of it.

Thank you all for the suggestions

Turps works very well and only need a cloth with it instead of a scoured, however be sure to wash with plenty of soapy water after to remove residual from turps, 

Eastern European car wash is the answer, they use TFR as a presoak on the car, TFR is traffic film remover and is quite harsh but effective.

best hand car wash I have ever found was in Cheadle Town centre, Staffordshire, and not EE manned. Don't know what they sprayed the van with, but it stayed clean for weeks, even after driving back down the motorway.

In my eyes, prevention is better than cure.....

Just stop washing the van. That's the theory I use and there is no sap on my van.
that's how I ended up with the problem....apart from parking under the ruddy trees. 

so to re-cap I need an angle grinder with a wire brush, JIF and psoh bug remover, then if I finish off with an industrial tub of Lurpak, soak cats in turps then the  cats rough tongues will do the rest. Sorted  :^O

so to re-cap I need an angle grinder with a wire brush, JIF and psoh bug remover, then if I finish off with an industrial tub of Lurpak, soak cats in turps then the  cats rough tongues will do the rest. Sorted  :^O

Has deke sent you a private message with instructions !!!! :shakehead  i think you were meant to pm him back not post on forum  :slap

Last edited by a moderator: