fused spur off lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean mac

Reaction score
hi guys,if a lighting circuit is not rcd protected,and you want to fit a fused spur off the lighting circuit in the loft for a fan,my question is do you have to then make that lighting circuit rcd protected to complete the job,many thanks 

Yep !  As Hefferl  says  ,  :-

Not buried cable.

Not in the bathroom 

Not a socket outlet 

So I don't see a requirement for an RCD either . 

Ah  I just had a thought !!     Bathroom lighting now requires an RCD  so you'd have to upgrade it anyway .   I 'm presuming  its a timer fan  connected to bathroom lights .         Its your decision .... 

Not buried cable.

Not in the bathroom 

Not a socket outlet 

Ah  I just had a thought !!     Bathroom lighting now requires an RCD  so you'd have to upgrade it anyway .   I 'm presuming  its a timer fan  connected to bathroom lights .         Its your decision .... 
no the fan is for the loft so nothing is being done in the bathroom,i always thought once you had altered a circuit that was not rcd protected you then had to,many thanks for all the replies 

Not buried cable.

Not in the bathroom 

Not a socket outlet 

no the fan is for the loft so nothing is being done in the bathroom,i always thought once you had altered a circuit that was not rcd protected you then had to,many thanks for all the replies 

OK    Then back to square one   ,   like Hefferl,   I don't see the need for an RCD   .   
thanks

,i always thought once you had altered a circuit that was not rcd protected you then had to,many thanks for all the replies 

I am intrigued as to why you thought this? BS7671 is specific as to certain cable types, in certain installation methods and certain accessories that require RCD protection. But there never has been any regulation stating that all circuit must have RCD protection. Plus where an installation was compliant to an earlier version of BS7671 there is no obligation to upgrade everything to comply to the current version just because you are doing a minor addition or alteration to a circuit. Obviously you must ensure that the circuit characteristic are appropriate for additional load you are introducing and the protective methods employed on that circuit. And all aspect of your new work must comply with current regulations, but you do not necessarily have to upgrade or amend a whole circuit or installation just because you add a spur or one additional accessory. 

Doc H. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am intrigued as to why you thought this? BS7671 is specific as to certain cable types, in certain installation methods and certain accessories that require RCD protection. But there never has been any regulation stating that all circuit must have RCD protection. Plus where an installation was compliant to an earlier version of BS7671 there is no obligation to upgrade everything to comply to the current version just because you are doing a minor addition or alteration to a circuit. Obviously you must ensure that the circuit characteristic are appropriate for additional load you are introducing and the protective methods employed on that circuit. And all aspect of your new work must comply with current regulations, but you do not necessarily have to upgrade or amend a whole circuit or installation just because you add a spur or one additional accessory. 

Doc H. 
thank you doc hudson i always thought once altered it then had to be compliant to current regs, would that not be a good thing

thank you doc hudson i always thought once altered it then had to be compliant to current regs, would that not be a good thing

Would you be Upgrading all future domestic installations to a non-combustible consumer unit as well if you are adding a socket?  Providing the work complied to an earlier version of BS7671 it will still be safe. Installations do not automatically become a safety hazards just because a new issue of the regs has been published. Your work must be compliant with current regs but the rest of the installation providing it is safe can remain as it is. Of course if a customer wants to pay for compliance to a newer standard they can do as they wish, but you do not need to insist that they do..  

Doc H.

Would you be Upgrading all future domestic installations to a non-combustible consumer unit as well if you are adding a socket?  Providing the work complied to an earlier version of BS7671 it will still be safe. Installations do not automatically become a safety hazards just because a new issue of the regs has been published. Your work must be compliant with current regs but the rest of the installation providing it is safe can remain as it is. Of course if a customer wants to pay for compliance to a newer standard they can do as they wish, but you do not need to insist that they do..  

Doc H.
well explained and thank you again