Allen Bradley Integrated Display PC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been offered a couple of old Allen Bradley Integrated Display PCs that'll otherwise be scrapped to have a play with. The place is big on "up cycling" and if it can be made use of rather than binned they're happy for it to go to a good home. Both out of the gennie room. Seemingly both died because they were "running off an inverter" is the story. The "why" is lost in the midst of time. Not opened either of them up yet. Heavy beasts for panel mounting but might make a basic desktop pc for the garage etc with a couple of simple legs or frame! :)

First, the older and bulkier of the two is a VersaView 1700P a 6181P-17TPXPH. Touch screen, RS232, Centronics, VGA, USB, DVD etc. Powering it up and psu fires up and psu fan runs though noisy. A green light on inside. No screen action. Connecting a VGA monitor and nothing on that.

Second ones a bit newer, again a 1700P, a 6191P 17TPXP so assuming an evolution of the first. Running XP Pro For Embedded Systems, again RS232, Centronics, DVD, USB ports on it (as well as a DVI port), HDD is SATA and accessible externally. Touchscreen as well. Applying power and a get a series of beeps 1/3/4/3. I'm assuming a psu problem. but there's again a green light showing thru the vents. Screen is dead.

Anyone got a link to fault codes etc for these?

LOTS of screws to get inside so other than a cursory glance and plug in it'll have to wait until home on the bench.

Thinking maybe a Linux install of some sort just for a play maybe using the touchscreen.

Cheers

They should just be running windows CX. Unless they have become corrupt or someones already been tinkering. 

AB just badge up a PC,  their HMI/SCADA software loads on separately onto the windows operating system. 

If they still work, you'd likely get a decent penny on ebay. A lot of sites running 32bit SCADAs can't afford to upgrade yet and are pilfering spares from wherever they can. 

Got the newer of the two home.

Wow! The mobo alone seems worth a few quid!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAIN-BOARD-ARMPPCMB-07267-1M-48-6B201-01M-SERIES-COMPEQ-ID33479-/322845273632?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Detached the screen from the main unit. New CMOS battery in. Whacked in a Linux LIVE disc and it whirrs up, ejects via the button etc. Still no screen action. The Skynet psu is alien to me, 24V? Is this an industrial thing? +24, RTN, EARTH, L & N are the only connections to it:

The triangular key "switch?" on the front, what's it for anyone? I'll kick myself if it's an ON switch! :)

There's a USB port under the flap. Locked away for security. 

I actually got a call yesterday about one of these no longer running a client. Suspected Ethernet port failure so it's no longer seeing the server.

SORTED! All it was with this was a duff memory slot by the looks of things. Chucked the 1GB stick in Slot 2 and all good!

Still got a rsview 32 client on it. 

If you're wanting to use it with anything else it needs a hdd wipe. Rockwell gets latched all over operating system files.

Still got a rsview 32 client on it. 

If you're wanting to use it with anything else it needs a hdd wipe. Rockwell gets latched all over operating system files.

Took the 40GB hdd out (intact with all it's files) and slapped in a spare 250GB 2.5" SATA. All up and running now with Zorin OS 12.2 32-bit.

The dodgy memory slot, not sure if I can do anything with that. All the pins look intact in the slot. I might wipe some IPA / contact cleaner down there. Getting to the soldered side of the mobo looks a mechanical mission! It is also surrounded by loads of SMD resistors and capacitors. If one of those is gone it can stay gone. I can barely see them let alone solder them!

So, onto the second unit next!