Power cables for street lighting installations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex-400V

Reaction score
Hi. I would like to get a help from this forum electrical engineers. What cables (underground and overhead) are used in UK to build street lighting installations?  

Hi  Alex   ,  most of us on here work to  British Standard 7671   which doesn't really cover street lighting .    However there is a wide pool of knowledge on here  so keep looking .

I can tell you that in towns & cities  most of the street lighting is tapped off the  adjacent  main feeder ring mains  .  

A new highway would have dedicated wiring  ... I could guess at which cables and wiring system  they use but would be pointless.  

British Standard 7671   which doesn't really cover street lighting .  

yes it does and has for a long time. it also covers other street furniture like bus stops, illuminated traffic signs,  illuminated bollards etc

almost all new street lighting in towns etc have their own unmetered connection from DNO, many older systems have an unmetered supply which then feeds a row of lights via underground council owned cables. same goes for council owned dual carriageways etc. not worked on highways agency roads, but id expect them to be similar with a DNO feed to a cabinet then highways owned cables between them

overhead are either connected directly to a phase and neutral or some older ones have a 5th line for a switch live

Thank you for answers. Really, I need know only a few of the most commonly used types in build street lighting networks.

For example, in Finland and in Estonia:  

-       underground aluminium cables used: AXPK, ARLC ...

-       underground copper cables used: MCMK, NYY ...

-       overhead aluminium cables used: AMKA, EX …

I would like get the same information for UK. I would like to know the cable types only, but not cross-sections.

British Standard 7671   which doesn't really cover street lighting .  

yes it does and has for a long time. it also covers other street furniture like bus stops, illuminated traffic signs,  illuminated bollards etc
I must have seen that and  deafed it out  as not applicable  to me  along with the Fairground and vehicle  stuff .   

I must have seen that and  deafed it out  as not applicable  to me  along with the Fairground and vehicle  stuff .   

I can't believe you don't have a communal supply for a dodgem car enclosure at the top of your garden for all the neighbors to share?

Doc H.

We were having a discussion at work about whether car park columns (inc others around  building)  came under this section. The NICEIC assessor told me that they did and that I should have stated a max permissable disconnection time of 5s not 0.4s, but we were all of the opinion that its not really "highway" anything as its just private land

We were having a discussion at work about whether car park columns (inc others around  building)  came under this section. The NICEIC assessor told me that they did and that I should have stated a max permissable disconnection time of 5s not 0.4s, but we were all of the opinion that its not really "highway" anything as its just private land
The intention of the regulation is that they are.

Thank you for that sidewinder

I can think of at least one set of columns on one of the sites we look after that come under multiple sections in chapter 7 then... some of the columns are around an ourdoor swimming pool, I am a bit uneasy that the columns are on a PME supply in an environment where theres likely to be folk wandering round dripping wet and no shoes on. Don't think I'd have designed it like that....need to get the books out over christmas but get the feeling its not a complete no no, but that PME is discouraged unless suitable precutions are taken

I would not do this.

I would add rods, yes, but not TT the whole section.

I would be looking at other options...

Give some thoughts to what else can done?

Not sure adding rods would give anything over what is there already... the columns set into the ground probably acheive a better Ra than a rod could.

Need to decide if the risk is real or only exists in my mind.

As to whole section this is a circuit with only about 5 columns on it most of which are around the pool area, it is separate from any other columns on site.

As to other solutions, a bonded metal grid in the floor is sometimes advised... but cannot be retro fitted!

Still, its one to worry about after christmas, wrapping is pending!

I would not do this.

I would add rods, yes, but not TT the whole section.

I would be looking at other options...

Give some thoughts to what else can done?

Some sort of extra low voltage stuff through an isolation transformer??? I would not be having TNCS, and neither will the owners when people start having "perceived" shocks, and i would not be happy with TT either..

john..

True PME... as in plenty of M?

You thinking along the lines of putting sufficent electrodes so that in the event of a lost N that the cpc to terra firma voltage cannot exceed dangerous levels, as per one of the solitions presented in the EV charging Code of practice?

(I'd imagine that with the metalwork of the columns, its probably halfway there anyway!)

Or barking up wrong tree

True PME... as in plenty of M?

You thinking along the lines of putting sufficent electrodes so that in the event of a lost N that the cpc to terra firma voltage cannot exceed dangerous levels, as per one of the solitions presented in the EV charging Code of practice?

(I'd imagine that with the metalwork of the columns, its probably halfway there anyway!)

Or barking up wrong tree
No Phoenix, you are spot on mate.

Apart from one comment, wrt the base of the columns.

They are more often than not so well corrosion protected, they are totally insulated from the ground around them when new.

That was a big surprise to me, I always thought that they would be a great big earth electrode, but due to the anti-corrosion measures being insulating, they are nothing of the sort!

Drop a rod adjacent to avery fitting if you can, and ensure that the CPC is a good CSA joining everything together, ideally TN-C-S sized, and that will help.