Battery drills

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The batteries for my old Makita  are now failing to hold their charge ....no point  replacing them .    

Any recommendations   for a  middle price  range   replacement .          I don't need to buy  those really tufty wufty  expensive  ones  ...I only work  two days a week .  I'm seeing a lot of makes  I've not heard of before .      

I use Makita 18v & a Bosch 36v

My old man has a Panasonic 18v  that he said is very good

Me?

mains drills, demo hammer, angle drills etc Makita

18v cordless, impact, jigsaw, trimsaw, trimmer,recap saw, angle grinder etc. Dewalt

smaller cordless type for going in tool bag....AEG orange

multitools...FEIN for Sunday beat and Clas Ohlson for "throw in the van" everyday use

never had any issues with any of them

Before you condemn a perfectly good drill with dead batteries, try County Battery for a new set, or they will re cell your existing pair. I could not find any cheaper.

Before you condemn a perfectly good drill with dead batteries, try County Battery for a new set, or they will re cell your existing pair. I could not find any cheaper.
I've had the drill for about seven  years Dave ,  you know the Makita with the big red battery ?       I could refurb the batts and a week later the  drill will carp out .  

Last edited by a moderator:
For the cost and aggravation is it worth recelling? As said the likes of a Screwfix often have different manufacturers drills on offer for c£100, which I'd guess would be sufficient for a part timer. 

Any thoughts on this one ?     

Screwfix     £99.99          Bosch GSB  18V  2.0 Ah     li-lon 

Presume you mean this beastie...?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-18-2-li-plus-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/5916t

For occasional use the 2.0Ah will probably be ok.

looks like they used to do the same drill with a single 4.0Ah battery?

But that not stocked at the moment.

For £10 difference I had a Hitachi with a pair of 2.5Ah batts...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv18dgl-jg-18v-2-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/6832k

BUT..  it looks like that's no longer a stock item judging by the lack of availabiulity?

At the end of the day, I would just make sure you are getting the largest Ah's on your batteries for your money.

(And the chuck size isn't a small diameter.)

No good having a nice drill that the batteries only last half a morning on.

I think my last three everyday battery drills have been a couple of Hitatchis and a Bosch.

Guinness  

Thanks , Specs , Yes I was wondering about the batts TBH   .   I looked at a cheapo drill , which would be fine for what I need now , but  noticed the   batts  were small capacity .  

I'd say its the batts you pay for ,not the drill itself.  

I have a bosch one. It cost £199 or £299, i forget now, and that was special offer. After i bought it, i thought "what the courgette did you spend all that on a drill for" Now though, maybe 5 years or more later, i cannot remember now, it is still working, although the batteries are not quite as good, but the thing has been, and still is, brilliant. It has had loads of use, i have lent it out loads of time too, but it is still perfect. If i had to buy a new drill it would be bosch everytime..

john..

I have been using a Ryobi for 14 years now. Not a popular choice and definitely not as powerfull as some of the better makes, but I have had good service from Ryobi stuff.  Now on it's third set of batteries. First time I re celled the batteries myself but this time the contacts were getting worn, so I got a new pair from County Battery.

As a stop gap before I found County and could not find any batteries that didn't cost as much as a complete new drill, I bought a cheap drill from lidl for £25. That did 6 months service then went bang and let it's smoke out so 
I took it back and got my £25 back.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the cost and aggravation is it worth recelling? As said the likes of a Screwfix often have different manufacturers drills on offer for c£100, which I'd guess would be sufficient for a part timer. 
Not worth it for this drill Sharpie ,  7 years old now .      County Battery  have the batts @ £40.00  & you need  two to keep working .    Think I need to stick with the 3.0 Ah  batts  .

I'm going to look out for any special offers rather than rushing  in .  

Latest posts