Oh Joy of Joys .......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heater blower motor packs up this morning  , blooming cold driving about .

Started to investigate  ,  glove box out , panels out , heating duct out ,     usual thing with vehicles ,  can't get to  test anywhere ,  need to pull the  resistor out  but its been hidden by Mr Vauxhall ,  looking at getting motor out , back aching , knees hurting ,  rammed in the footwell upside down , can't see  ,    blooming cold ,  don't know what I'm doing .

Thats it !!!!   I'm phoning the garage tomorrow  ! :C

I'm not sure that it would be the resistor pack as its unusual for all resistors to blow, id suspect the fan motor itself, i had to drop mine out and give a good clean then spray up with grease, it was pretty awful clogged with dirt. It now works a treat.

i trust that you have checked the fuse!

I checked ALL the fuses  because  of the 30 odd in there  , they are all named in the handbook  except for the heater motor .    Had a quick look online  ,  as you say , could be resistor ,  motor ,  failed connection somewhere ,  but I find jamming myself , upside down in the foot well of the van  and struggling to get at nuts & bolts  etc   a bit much these days . 

And the van is different to the videos on Youtube   ..........some wazzock on there  removes the resistor pack in  about 1 minute .   

May/ dare i ask if you could manage to undo the four possibly eight bolts that secure the seat in, depending on arrangement. This would give you a whole lot more rooom to be your fragile frame in to get to the motor :)  

dont follow that Kerching either, you'll pay through the nose and learn how to fill the water bottle, you have little to no knowledge relevant to what you need to do! 

What year is the batmobile?

probably need to take off the back door a wheel and a wheelarch too. and maybe the gearbox and wipers.
I already did that  to change a lightbulb. 

With a light and a mirror , I can see some wires tucked right up on top of the  motor  and one of the motor fixing screws is right around the back too   ....I can't be doing with it these days TBH  ....can't even get my hand up there .  

Ok my last attempt then you can shove your hand where ever you blinking like!

to access the fan:

remove glovebox there are three Torx screws holding it in. Undo and slide it forward.

now you will have access to the fan which is held in by another 2 possibly 3 torx screws, may may need extension on driver to make getting the rear one easier.

remove and the fan will drop out, mind the cables dont want any mishaps with them coz then you'll need an electrician :shakehead  you will now see the cables that go to the resistor pack, check resistor pack for signs of overheating (common), this may need replacing (does heater speed switch work correctly?).

clean up motor and fan, check for free movement (not yours). If fan motor is knackered, obtain replacement (any corsa c type should fit)

installation is reverse of removal.

you should now have a relatively cheap fix.

whole job should be no more than an hour or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that Sharpie  ,it all sounds very easy except that the hour I've already spent  on it ... removing glove box , trim underneath etc.   has exceeded  my kneeling allowance  per 24 hours  by 200%   .  

Right  job done ..sorted ...  finito....I'm not Sparks of the year  2014   for nothing  ........I didn't get where I am  today  by shoving my hand  up any old  orifice  ....... I didn't get where I am today by shoving a cucumber through the Vicar's letterbox and shouting  " The Martians have landed !!!"  .....Ah  the quiet hum of the motor  ...the waves of Caribean warmth wafting like a southern zepher   over those blue remembered hills   and down into the warm  lush green valley of peace  which  exists only in the minds of those who have never quite cast off childhood memories ....a place where Rupert Bear would set off on an adventure .......  where Winnie the Pooh plays   Poohsticks  from the bridge  and Ratty & Mole  go sculling by ...just messing about in boats .