Flat owner wanting to reduce heating but avoid blocked pipes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CromCruach

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in a country that gets pretty cold in winter, namely Austria. I live in a flat which is rather large (226 sq m in all), with 2 heaters covering the whole flat, but with 1 of them not working for the last 2-3 years or so. A relative claimed that that 1 remaining working heater just heats one half of the flat, but I doubt it, as the other half of the flat is not hermetically sealed from the other half - there is just 1 closed door and 1 large curtain covering 2 access points to the other half of the flat, so I am assuming that the remaining working heater is probably heating the other half of the flat to some extent. Anyway,  my current temperature range is 21 degrees Celsius for 17.5 hours during the day, and 16 degrees Celsius for the remaining 6.5  hours at night. I was wondering how low I could reasonably set the central heating. I would like to see how much weight I can lose if I have the flat as cold as possible but don't want  the pipes becoming blocked due to ice. Any suggestions welcome re ideal low-level temperature required. Thanks!

You would need some cold to freeze the pipes..

I would say set the thermostats to a constant 5 or 6 celsius. You will lose weight then ok...

[Provided you do not stuff yourself with chocolate because you are cold!!]

john..

Hmm, in Austria, there can be some very cold spells in winter, even here in the capital, Vienna. Temperature outside in Vienna  can go down to -5 degrees Celsius, not counting wind-chill factor. I suppose, what with neighbouring flats mostly occupied and mostly heating, it is therefore not dangerous to set the average temperature of half of my  flat  at 5 or 6 degrees Celsius?

When did this theory about losing weight by being cold start?

Do you know how cold it is in the Highlands, and we are living in a static caravan.  It was down to  -10 a week ago.  I should be the slimest sparky in town.

Hmm, in Austria, there can be some very cold spells in winter, even here in the capital, Vienna. Temperature outside in Vienna  can go down to -5 degrees Celsius, not counting wind-chill factor. I suppose, what with neighbouring flats mostly occupied and mostly heating, it is therefore not dangerous to set the average temperature of half of my  flat  at 5 or 6 degrees Celsius?

It can be minus 5 here for weeks, but only pipes in completely unheated places freeze. i think you are worrying too much...

john..

When did this theory about losing weight by being cold start?

Do you know how cold it is in the Highlands, and we are living in a static caravan.  It was down to  -10 a week ago.  I should be the slimest sparky in town.
Hmm, well it was a proponent of ice-baths who claimed this, among others. He claimed that modern obesity was linked to improved central heating. Apparently, there are studies showing how even reducing  room-temperatures to a  mere 15 degrees Celsius can help people lose some weight. The catch, though, is that increased cold can greatly increase one's appetite, so one also has to not overindulge in food to compensate for the cold. Apparently, most people can withstand quite cold temperatures with enough exposure for a few weeks. Our palaeo ancestors, after all,  managed to survive quite well in an Ice-Age  without central heating.

Hmm, well, since I am no expert, I will set the average room  temperature for 10 degrees Celsius, just in case.

Hmm, well it was a proponent of ice-baths who claimed this, among others. He claimed that modern obesity was linked to improved central heating. Apparently, there are studies showing how even reducing  room-temperatures to a  mere 15 degrees Celsius can help people lose some weight. The catch, though, is that increased cold can greatly increase one's appetite, so one also has to not overindulge in food to compensate for the cold. Apparently, most people can withstand quite cold temperatures with enough exposure for a few weeks. Our palaeo ancestors, after all,  managed to survive quite well in an Ice-Age  without central heating.

Hmm, well, since I am no expert, I will set the average room  temperature for 10 degrees Celsius, just in case.

Yes they did, but old age was considered mid 20's and death was almost certain before 30. Studies have also shown that a lot were malnourished and had bone issues.  

Edit: Independent studies, not the distorted ones trying to sell this fad of a palaeo diet. 

If you want to loose weight it's really quite simple. Calorie intake < Calories burned. 

I've just spent a couple of weeks working in Austria near Bludenz, beautiful place. Just go walking. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they did, but old age was considered mid 20's and death was almost certain before 30. Studies have also shown that a lot were malnourished and had bone issues.  

Edit: Independent studies, not the distorted ones trying to sell this fad of a palaeo diet. 

If you want to loose weight it's really quite simple. Calorie intake < Calories burned. 

I've just spent a couple of weeks working in Austria near Bludenz, beautiful place. Just go walking. 
I'm afraid that the above is a bit of a myth! lol! In fact, that bit about dying before 30 only referred to just the mean average lifespan,. Since mass infanticide was practised in palaeo times, for reasons of scarcity etc., the mean average lifespan was only 30, but that only meant that, if one survived early childhood, one had a very good chance of reaching old age.And solid palaeolithic anthropological studies show that palaeo peoples had stronger bones /muscles than modern athletes. eg a study on Neolithic-era women:-

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/prehistoric-women-manual-labor-stronger-athletes-science/

https://www.newsmax.com/health/health-news/bone-strength-study-hopkins/2015/05/18/id/645319/

The calories intake <  calories burned only works  if one doesn't have additional issues. For example, my brother , a tall/slim type, can wolf down vast amounts of food and never gets fat despite only doing 2 or 3 hours of exercise a week or so. I, on the other hand, have a slowed-down metabolism which means that only water-fasting really works re losing significant weight. Doing too much exercise just increases my appetite for ever more food. 

Anyway, I have to win a bet and lose  c.60 pounds in a set limit of time, so I have to try anything I can. So far, having cold-baths with a couple of ice-packs, along with water-fasting has worked a bit. I agree with you that lowering the flat temperature likely won't make much difference, but even  the loss of  a couple of extra pounds might make the difference and help me win the bet in time.

The calories intake <  calories burned only works  if one doesn't have additional issues. For example, my brother , a tall/slim type, can wolf down vast amounts of food and never gets fat despite only doing 2 or 3 hours of exercise a week or so. I, on the other hand, have a slowed-down metabolism which means that only water-fasting really works re losing significant weight. Doing too much exercise just increases my appetite for ever more food. 

No it works all of the time. You may burn less calories due to a slower metabolism. So consume less calories. 

If you're hungry after a workout eat healthy, low calorie food. Or take a big glass of water. 

the matabilism thing is a little bit of a myth, your metabilism adapts to your lifestyle I seem to remember hearing on the radio. Best weight loss is always exercise based, and I don't mean you have to take up jogging, just keep active and avoid the high calorie foods we all prefer to eat (I'm a biscuit fiend, so I just don't buy biscuits very often). By eating the right foods, it wil alter your mood, improve your health, and in the process of feeling better, you will probably find you become more active anyway. You will also find you can eat more and still lose weight - I'm a great believer in high fibre foods, especially for breakfast because you feel less hungry on them. How someone can go to work on a 'diet bar' I just don't know.