Not so many cards this year

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some relatives no longer with us ...some neighbours  have moved on .  Deaf  Steve has gone into care  , his house now changed  :ph34r:

But as always ,  cards from  Will the Jeweller ...   .  and The cleanest Car in the World  ... from  Builder opposite ...and  Gungadin ....and bottle of wine from 96  & a sad Christmas for them  this year  ....  big bag of chocolate stuff from next door  (Works at Cadburys) ....Mac & M'Bevlin .....  The Gumblies .... a cheery wave from Ma Paddy  & The Dove of Peace.... a curt nod from Keys in Gob  ( which I interpret as  Merry Christmas)  .......  a stony silence from Hyacynth :C ..... a card from 144  and paid their bill .....card from 94 ...card  from 95 .    Mrs Deke bakes biscuits & Min Spies for a few .....they'll need to dunk the biscuits this year ...I'm saying nothing . 

We live in London, we don't get cards from anyone, infact we barely know most of our neighbour's even though we've been here 10years. :lol:

We will no doubt get something over the top from Irish John (We grew up on the same street), a nod from old chris who is not long of this world but can still make it to the bookies, a brief chat with the other neighbours with kids, one of them was accused of murder btw.  :eek:

But nothing from the black woman who can't drive, posh woman who doesn't understand bins, Turkish family who don't talk, dirty looks from the poles with the hot daughter and nothing from the crouch end lot.

Merry Christmas! 

:stuck-santa-smiley-emoticon:

well for me this christmas isnt as easy as i lost my sister (younger than me) early this year so a very different situation to be in.merry christmas tothe people here.

cc3046_T_1d5bae47.jpg.b5528d56b2f942ff7ab529c6f350caf9.jpg

Happy Christmas Everyone.

Well, I have learnt a lot this year..

My mother, the fittest 84 year old you have ever met in your life, suddenly decided to be an alcoholic.. We are not talking a bit drunk, but hanging around with other drunken bums and spending getting on for £3000 a MONTH in pubs. Drunk to the extent that the police get called by members of the public, as she is collapsed in the street... Someone that worked for 44 years as a school teacher reduced to being a drunken bum..

This is everyday.... She has been offered all the help you can imagine, but tells them all to courgette off.. The council got her sheltered housing, she is due to be evicted, they are going to put her in a "home" soon, or so they claim, but i doubt they have the power to do this, thanks to something called the "mental capacity act" the daftest law ever passed.. She will be found dead in the street, it is just a matter of time...

I have ZERO, absolute ZERO, sympathy for "addicts" of any sort. They are right at the top of the tree when it comes to "help", and resources to be squandered on them, but most simply refuse all offers of help. In other words, they WANT to be an "addict"

Anyone care to dispute this??? Then why do they refuse the help?? It would be like if you were homeless and someone offered you the finest house money could buy and yet you told them to courgette off..

I save my sympathy for those that cannot help being ill.. [Which is why, despite not being very well myself, i do a lot of voluntary work in the local psychiatric hospital]

Second lesson.. A short while ago some of our "ethnic" friends moved in across the road. Oh courgette i thought... Well, you know what, they sent me a christmas card, the ONLY neighbours ever to do that.. Meant a lot to me that did. lovely people....

And me???? Not a good year.. I will be spending most of tomorrow, christmas day, on the psychiatric ward...

God bless the NHS and ALL those who work in it...

I meet, and have daily dealings, with some of the most fantastic people you can ever imagine, people right at the top of the tree, extremely, extremely senior staff, that STILL see patients.. Their reason?? "we have never forgotten the reason why we are here and do this job"

The NHS, and those that work in it, are the most precious thing that we have here in this country...

john..

People only accept help when they reach the point of where they want the help. 

As the saying goes ' you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink' 

I know.. I knew a girl on the game years ago. She introduced me to many of her friends. Some of them were stunning looking, and i felt sorry for them. You know, they wanted [once] to have a nice partner, and a job, and kids, and a house, but they would get up at 7pm, courgette a fat smelly lorry driver, and spend the rest of the night smashed on crack.

I said to my friend, that if i won the lottery, i would buy them all a house. My friend told me; "never feel sorry for them, they are doing what they want to do. tango'd fat lorry drivers for drugs might not sound much of a life to you, but it is what they want, they can have all the help in the world, but they do not want it..."

My friend went on to explain that all these "do-gooders" just encourage them, and, that the only thing that makes them give it up is, that one night, they will be standing in the freezing rain looking for a punter, and they will just think; "****** this" and pack it all in...

What is hard, is watching someone totally destroy their life and refusing all help. My mum is an accident waiting to happen. I think within a few months she will be dead..

It is so strange.. One day i was at the hospital wandering round the corridors at about 8 in the evening. It is a huge dimly lit place, and i was sure that in the distance i could see someone slumped against the wall. I moved closer, and saw this person fall through a doorway out into the yard..

I ran up, and there was this bloke in the yard bent double clutching his stomach. He could not even speak, but managed to whisper just one word, the name of a ward.. As it was late in the evening, all the admin staff had gone home. To get thei chap to safety and help, i needed to go to a secure part of the hospital, but to do that you need a swipe card.. I had to go and interrupt a meeting in the divisional directors office, and get them to phone the ward and tell someone to swipe the door open for me.

This man could hardly walk, and kept trying to lie on the floor every ten yards. but we eventually made it to the ward....

I could not believe how wizened and emaciated this man was, and i thought how on earth can they want to make themselves like that.. but it seems they do..

If i had not seen him disappear through the door, it would have been locked by the porters a few minutes later, and this poor chap would have died of exposure outside in the yard that night..

I went to Morrisons earlier and bought 5 christmas cakes, so that when i am on the ward tomorrow, everyone can have some christmas cake..

john..

john..

I could not believe how wizened and emaciated this man was, and i thought how on earth can they want to make themselves like that.. but it seems they do..
 I believe, but could be wrong, that mental health is the root of much evil. Drugs and alcohol are usually signs of wanting to escape some form of reality / stress / trauma.

Sorry to hear about your mum, my mum is also a very active 84 years old. Think mum would quite happily party her final years away given half the chance - she hasn't got much to lose really?

I believe, but could be wrong, that mental health is the root of much evil. Drugs and alcohol are usually signs of wanting to escape some form of reality / stress / trauma.
Id say you're bang on there Binky, however there is also the fact that mental illness is merely a state of the mind and can be cured. 

What is it John,  some sort of dementia with your mum? Picks maybe?

My Mum's got mixed dementia (she's 87). The stories I could tell. She was doing £800 / week on the Lotto at one time. Then taking the tickets in to be checked, leaving them on the counter and walking out. Posted random cheques through neighbour's letterboxes to the tune of a few grand another time. Luckily we got them all back. The carrying offensive weapons is a bit troubling tbh. 

No, no dementia, just full on drunkenness. The hospital have already told me this.. Problem is, things cannot go on the way they, she will be dead in months. Not sure what will happen. Nothing i can do, if she is determined to spend 3000 a month in a pub, what can i do.

When i say a liar, you have never seen lies like it, you could not make it up..

It will not end well..

john..

Latest posts