Can I change a 2 gang wall socket?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OllB

Reaction score
I'm not a qualified / certified / registered electrician. I believe I'm allowed to change wall sockets in my own house so long as they are like for like. I'd like to change some two gang sockets for ones with built in USB ports. Is this still considered like for like and as they are in the kitchen could this cause any problems down the line? I don't want to burn the house down. Were the worst to happen I'd like to know that I'm still insured.

Nothing prevents you from doing so in your own home, whether your insurance would be accepting is really a question for them, I guess it depends if they found out? 

You also have to ask yourself how comfortable/competent you feel in yourself with doing the job? 

The other question I'd ask is this, what is the history of the installation, has anyone prior to you tampered with it when not qualified to do so? You could be unsuspectingly falling foul of someone else's workmanship, without the correct testing equipment how would you know?  

It would be considered like for like though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You also need to be sure that the USB socket you have chosen will fit into the existing back box. Some makes need a deeper back box, or spacers around the front to accommodate the USB charger circuitry. Have you had a look inside the proposed socket you want to change? If it is one that has already got extra wiring in the back, e.g. another spur branched off that socket it can be very fiddly or impossible to get all of the wiring back in place with the new socket. Even with a standard exact like for like replacement sometimes wires have been cut ridiculously short by the previous person that getting a good secure connection is very difficult.

Remember the a key rule; "Electricity ALWAYS generates some heat whilst passing through a circuit, and poor connections bad joints, lose terminations with generate more heat and cause problems in the future, although it may appear to work at first".  So yes you are legally allowed to do the work you propose. But make sure you have a enough depth in the back box, length on the cables and space to work. You may also need some longer faceplate screws and a re-threading tool for the back-box lugs.

Doc H.

as they have transfomers in the back, you need a deeper back box to help dissipate heat as well as avoid cable damage when fitting the front plate. I would be surprised if that is already fitted. As Doc H has already said, USB sockets can be  a right royal pain in the neck!

It would be interesting if anyone has any links to a more up-to-date version of this survey, as it was printed in the spring 2014, (three and half plus years ago). It does also specifically refer to substandard low-cost USB sockets purchased on-line. Have any of the main brand-name products been tested and reviewed in a similar way? 

Doc H.

as they have transfomers in the back, you need a deeper back box to help dissipate heat as well as avoid cable damage when fitting the front plate. I would be surprised if that is already fitted. As Doc H has already said, USB sockets can be  a right royal pain in the neck!
The back box is 47mm.

It would be interesting if anyone has any links to a more up-to-date version of this survey, as it was printed in the spring 2014, (three and half plus years ago). It does also specifically refer to substandard low-cost USB sockets purchased on-line. Have any of the main brand-name products been tested and reviewed in a similar way? 

Doc H.

Thanks Doc H. That is an interesting read. Let me know if you find a more up to date one.