DNO muppetry

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i usually do well with DNO staff, but not so much the other week

call DNO to blown service fuse. 1st bloke arrives. cant remove cover, its a 2 man job. someone else is 5 minutes away. after a bit of carry on drying out the service head (water leak) were ready... or maybe not. neither have a fuse between them, need to wait for someone else to come. he then notices 90-150v on the dead phase to neutral and announce that its immediately dangerous and anyone who tries to put a fuse in L3 will be blown across the room.... after a few quick tests, 1st there is around 100k on the leccy meter between phases giving a voltage on the non-connected phase. not enough to trip an RCD. 2nd, L2 would have been the same as soon as L1 was put it. youre still here. i even offered to link L3 to neutral, but apparently that would blow the fuses

after an hour another bloke turns up. tells him the story, he knows exactly where the voltages are from and is happy to put the fuse in (taking suitable precautions just incase). not sure why 2 blokes to remove the cover in the first place then send a single bloke to put a new fuse in...

Is it northern Power grid in your neck of the woods, Andy?

My dealings with them never seem to go well, I think I posted on here a while ago about how much to-and-thro-ing was involved in getting them to repair some smashed pressure fuse carriers on a CT cabinet.

WPD in the former EME area are generally easier to deal with

and almost forgot, they couldnt even find the building in the first place. gave them the postcode, only thing that shows up is the substation... which is on the customers land and attached to the building. their building is a different postcode and had to be found by the meter number...