government muppets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
link stolen from elsewhere

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/98ffbe65-3dc7-428f-85ba-27e616da6f55

more muppets at the helm. 15.29 and apparently part P covers the faulty fridge at grenfell, and no-one seems to know what it actually covers or does not cover. and these are the people supposed to be reviewing the whole thing

i think this deserves sidewinders #e5 thingy

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i think the guy has a point. Forget what part P covers today, forget all the other guff about fixed wiring, appliances with plugs etc. This sort of thing reminds me of 15 - 20 years ago when i started PAT testing commercial buildings, the stuff brought in from home was truly scary, i was often either taking the offending item with me or running to the skip with it so it could not be used a minute longer.

Nowadays it is generally accepted by companies to ban their employees from bringing electrical items into the workplace from home, consequently PAT is now as boring as hell , be lucky if i find one in 200 to get excited about.

Now considering a high rise...... it feels wrong to have no regime to ensure all appliances are in good condition. It may be that it becomes a condition that all residents of high rise have to have their appliances tested as a condition of the rental agreement or maybe even becomes part of building regs or whatever instrument is appropriate. At any rate i would support such a solution as long as i dont have to do the testing, lol

There was a time before PAT when we as humans were responsible and if something showed signs of looking a bit ropey or not working quite right we'd either fix it or replace it, of course take into account that stuff was generally made to a better quality so we are the instigators of our own demise. 

This is how it works in Britain ,  they nibble around the edge of  these things  and end up changing  things in very small increments  .

Take a look at our side of things .

As I remember we used to have  Voltage Operated Circuit Breakers that didn't work too well , but we were happy.

RCDs appeared and we were urged to fit them to external sockets . 

Then it was decided that fitting them to showers might be a good idea .. 

Then it was decided that half a consumer unit would be RCD controlled  and the other half not . 

Then it was decided that all sockets  (except those under competent control )  would be RCD protected  . 

Then someone drilled through a buried cable  and everything buried in walls became   RCD protected  .  

Then it was decided that electrical work should carried out by "Competent" people  , there was a system in place called the JIB Grading System  ...so we ignored that ...and invented Part P of the Building Regs  which  covers SOME electricians in England , ...no electricians in Scotland ,  different rules for Wales  :C  ,  and has created an additional  structure level of control  and a whole new infrastructure  of registration etc that  few people outside of the trade  have heard of . 

On top of that we stop making stuff here and import a load of carp  often with suspect standards applied  and nearly always built to  the lowest standard  they can get away with .         

Edit:    And as  Sharpie says ...we have become the Instigators of our Own Demise  , a small , no account island off the edge of Europe , that makes sod all , has an over inflated sense of it's own importance in the world  and is in the process of walking out of the huge local trading market which supports it . 

I've scoobed you there Deke, how I must say that it was under protest of the last sentence. 

Whether we are out or in the market will still be there and despite the prats that head the EU tell us the end is nigh for us, it won't be long until the actual European people want a piece of what we offer however small. 

cided that electrical work should carried out by "Competent" people  , there was a system in place called the JIB Grading System  ...so we ignored that ...and invented Part P of the Building Regs  which  covers SOME electricians in England , ...no electricians in Scotland ,  different rules for Wales  :C  ,  and has created an additional  structure level of control  and a whole new infrastructure  of registration etc that  few people outside of the trade  have heard of . 

and the whole thing will only apply to domestic not commercial.

a 'spark' phoned me a few month ago, he's done some electricial work and needs someone to give a cert. so for a laugh i tell's him ill have a look, but itll only be an EICR that i can do. some of his highlights, re-wire the lighting in the factory because he couldnt figure out re-wiring the switch feed to each row and wanted to start again. its all 6491 in trunking. kept the existing lights. forgot to put back half the lid. didnt fit any light switches(!). advised customer to turn off isolator in the 2 boards that do the workshop instead. fitted a 4c10 SWA directly into busbar chamber. cut off the earth (so no earth at 3x 32a TPNE outlets). its protected by 1x 200a and 2x 1.5mm in the glasgow switch, because he somehow blew a fuse one day and didnt have any spares. why he didnt use the spare, unused switch fuse complete with fuses instead i have no idea. owner does not want him back and after seeing how bad his work really is

same bloke also phoned me today, he's been at a fault finding job and asks what to do next. RCD is tripping then 3 phase oven turned on. asked what IR values were, he doesnt have an IR tester. apparently he's been randomly disconnecting a phase in turn to see if the tripping stopped. he then swapped the phases. he was also confused as to why it still worked when he had disconnected a phase

really, i think he'd fit quite nicely with that panel

I've scoobed you there Deke, how I must say that it was under protest of the last sentence. 

Whether we are out or in the market will still be there and despite the prats that head the EU tell us the end is nigh for us, it won't be long until the actual European people want a piece of what we offer however small.
This is what my post refers to  above where Andy has shoehorned one in .   :redcard

My crystal ball sees the out come of the Grenfell tower enquiry blaming nobody and making some recommendations for improvements to building regs ....

The mere fact that the planning regs for refurbishments still allow tower blocks to be refurbished without having sprinkler systems tells us a lot about the Muppets making decisions .......

If I had any say on the DCLG this loop hole concerning sprinkler systems would have been will and truly closed by now ..... But they won't do this as it would bring the spotlight directly on the DCLG, and as it's a cross party committee, nobody wants this.