Comparing the old with the new

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking at my old   Guide to the  15 edition   pocket book  and noting how much detail there  and useful information is compared to the latest   "Site Guide"   .   Heres a random page.

Scan0002.jpg

Scan0001.jpg

Doesn't that just sum up how illiterate we have become over the years? 

There was a time that we would read to learn now it's all just spoon fed via computer, soon we'll be being told when to take a pee by computers. 

With todays ideology it is if they are trying to make it a one glove fits all approach.  

Doesn't that just sum up how illiterate we have become over the years? 

There was a time that we would read to learn now it's all just spoon fed via computer, soon we'll be being told when to take a pee by computers. 

With todays ideology it is if they are trying to make it a one glove FUDGE  all approach.  

corrected that for you.

Which is ludicrous !!!      Sparks operating  from either side of the Wales / England border  would  be criss crossing all the time to work .........   so what version of Part Pee  do we work to today  ?  Is it English Part Pee  or LlanTaffylookyoutherestidyisn'titpart Ppee ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is ludicrous !!!      Sparks operating  from either side of the Wales / England border  would  be criss crossing all the time to work .........   so what version of Part Pee  do we work to today  ?  Is it English Part Pee  or LlanTaffylookyoutherestidyisn'titpart Ppee ? 

Quite .............. who are the lunatics making these somewhat dubious decisions.

I've never understood why kitchens were removed from the english version of Part P - I see more dangerous installs in kitchens than in bathrooms!

It could have been simple .   But this is Britain .

A Gas Safe  system  should have been adopted .    All  independent sparks  and contracting companies  to register with  "Electric Safe"   .  It could be administered by  , say ,  NIC , NaPPitt , ECA  , Stroma    BUT the  whole point is ....like the gas fitters ,    you are registered as "Electric Safe"    .   It covers the whole of Britain,   it doesn't vary   and everyone has heard of it  .      ( And ProDave would have to sign up :innocent ) 

There are no "part members "  like  kitchen & bathroom fitters  who suddenly become electricians overnight .    They would be full scope "Electric Safe "  (Domestic)   and if they're not  they use an "Electric Safe"  sparks  in the same way as they'd use a Gas Safe fitter.  

Any work not carried out by an  "Electric Safe"   sparks  is not covered by any insurance  and is not acceptable by LBC  .

Anyone not registered  who does electrical work  would be executed.  

With everyone having to join , the cost would reduce  to about £100  /year .

but thats too simple, having one scheme that covers the individual doing the work and not some random person at a company who is signing off work of employees that in some cases, they have never met

t worked well for me, my notifications went from 1-3 per week to 0
Do we not have to notify kitchen work then  Andy ?     

Must sound stupid but I can't be bothered to keep up with all the carp  to be honest .   Just add an amount to each job to cover Part Pee overheads  & notify everything  involving any new wiring . 

It crossed my mind the other day about that  "Provide a warranty  stuff "     I've been Peeing for 12 yrs  , never did anything about warranties  TBH .   I'm not the Man from The Pru. FFS

Last edited by a moderator:
but thats too simple, having one scheme that covers the individual doing the work and not some random person at a company who is signing off work of employees that in some cases, they have never met
I know but it would be no different to the company being an  NICEIC member  but the ten sparks employed  are not...but their work would be covered by the supervising system at the firm .  

And anything like one firm I worked for ....supervisor never left the office  .

It could have been simple .   But this is Britain .

A Gas Safe  system  should have been adopted .    All  independent sparks  and contracting companies  to register with  "Electric Safe"   .  It could be administered by  , say ,  NIC , NaPPitt , ECA  , Stroma    BUT the  whole point is ....like the gas fitters ,    you are registered as "Electric Safe"    .   It covers the whole of Britain,   it doesn't vary   and everyone has heard of it  .      ( And ProDave would have to sign up :innocent ) 

There are no "part members "  like  kitchen & bathroom fitters  who suddenly become electricians overnight .    They would be full scope "Electric Safe "  (Domestic)   and if they're not  they use an "Electric Safe"  sparks  in the same way as they'd use a Gas Safe fitter.  

Any work not carried out by an  "Electric Safe"   sparks  is not covered by any insurance  and is not acceptable by LBC  .

Anyone not registered  who does electrical work  would be executed.  

With everyone having to join , the cost would reduce  to about £100  /year .

This is something I’m well and truly confused about. One of the forum sponsors is SparkSafe who offer a “License to Practice”. Who underwrites / authorises this scheme? Is it just another scam out to make a quick buck? Their web site doesn’t give much information .

I’ve always been an advocate of licensing electricians in whatever branch of the trade. The industrial lads won’t like it but if it gets rid of the charlatans in the trade, who cares?

The present system of “competent persons” schemes has debased our trade.

Latest posts