Ever acted without thinking it through ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did some work for friends who had bought a guest house in Llandudno .

Two major carrott ups inflicted by yours truly .

1)    Our friends said could this door bell be removed in the kitchen  , doesnt work , its ugly .   Had a look , battery powered , wire went down to the cellar  then got lost .     I did notice  some thin brass  strip tacked all around , didn't mean anything to me at the time . 

Removed the bell .  

About 6 months later our friends realised  it was a warning that the cellar was flooding and had reached the third step   :facepalm:

Well how was I to know ...bloody sea retreated from Birmingham about 5 million years ago !!

i noticed Deke said 'Two major carrott ups inflicted by yours truly', yet only posted one

maybe the other was to rip out that unused fused spur marked 'do not turn off' that appeared to run to some box below the floor in the basement?

Oooooo  they can be realllly cruel on here !!!  :(

I forgot to include Cock Up No.2  .  

In the utility at the back of the house they asked me to change a single socket to a twin .   It was surface  mounted at about 4ft  high and right in the middle of the side wall ,  removed old box , marked two fixings for the twin , drill & insert rawplug  in first hole ....drill  second hole and a jet of water shoots out , blows the drill up , drenches me and starts to flood the utility .  

I shove a wallplug and screw in the hole which reduces flow ,   there are no shut offs anywhere ,  lead piping from around the 1920's  ,  panic is prevailing ,  my mate is outside  with a turnkey down  a hole in the pavement ,  water is still spurting ,  I look closely and announce that that valve is the GAS  . :eek:

The water , it turned out , was at the corner of the road  and shut off half the street .

Eventually , by chiselling out some plaster I find  a lead water pipe  enters the room , top left  corner , runs diagonally , flush,down to the bottom right  and exits the house underground  to feed an outside  toilet .  

Talk about Safe Zones   !!!!!   If I'd moved the box 1/2 inch to the right  it would never have happened .  

On the subject of carrot - ups  this one was on a new Halls of Residence block  24 storey  block  of student flats . 

As an apprentice I'd worked on the site but in plant rooms , boiler rooms & public areas ............didn't  1st fix any flats .

Towards the end they get me on fixing Dimplex fan heaters in flats .  No one mentioned that the flush pyros  were all  pre- fabricated & made off  to size for each flat &  often if they were too long they just made a loop at a box .   Pyros were held in glue on flat clips that were fitted the day before wiring , then plastered over . 

So I was launched with a mountain of heaters ,  DP switches  and a drill with which to drill though the pyros  feeding the heaters.  :wacko: :C   

I did three , then opened the meter boxes to power them up and got three nice bangs from each flat .  Lucky really I didn't do the whole floor  before switching on .   

Oh  & don't say why didn't I test  because virtually  no testing was done then  other than meggering every pyro  at first fix.  

Scan0001.jpg