Replacement breaker for old Memshield One disboard MEM 203 MB3

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsparks

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any replacement for a MEM 203 MB3 Type 3 triple-pole breaker to replace a suspect one, bearing in mind that they are obsolete, and other than

getting a pre-owned one off E-Bay,  I'm hoping somebody will know of one still available, of a different make perhaps, out there, that can be fitted to the

obsolete board. Would a breaker for the Memshield 2 or the later Memshield 3 fit?  Other than buying them and taking a chance, I would prefer to know

in advance, of one that would fit, as it controls an important three-phase boiler supply, and a failure of one phase will cause serious heating problems. There was a loss

of supply this morning, but the maintenance staff managed to get boilers going by turning breaker off, and re-setting, so sounds like a poor contact, probably due to

breaker being in service since 1991, and as far as I know, not been operated before. No fault currents involved, so its not a matter of damaged contacts. I have injected

some contact-cleaner to breaker, and it may well be OK now, but they would prefer there being a "spare" on site, just in case.

Thanks,  Southsparks.

I'm sure I have some of those  ,  don't know what current rating though  ,  I can look tomorrow .       I'm fairly sure nothing else will fit  other than the Bill  equivalent  which will be the same product.    I can see some on ebay .  

Thanks for reply Evans. Although the breaker is a 20 Amp,  I would have thought a 32 A would be OK. as circuit 

for some reason, is wired in 16mm SWA. There's lots of breakers on various sites, but they are all pre-used and

would be same age as the one we have. As there is no way of knowing to what use it has been subject to, reckon

it might be chancy to swop with the one we have in use. As no chance of getting an unused one, think I might

tell client to carry on with existing one. I have similar problems with elderly breakers in the past, and have used

contact spray to inside and operated breaker (without any load connected) and that usually does the trick. Any

breaker that has not been operated in a long time, could lead to a loss of contact inside eventually. Last option 

might be to remove SWA from the dis-board and fit to separate breaker unit outside, which in my mind would always

have been the right way to do it. That would be a summer job when heating finished with.

Thanks for your advice,

Southsparks.

Latest posts