Luxna downlights 😩

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas0n

Reaction score
Been a while since I have posted on the forum.

Just curious if anyone has installed any luxna led downlights. Only because over the past year or so I have fitted probably around 50 plus in various homes and in one case one home has had about 8 of them burn out. Latest ones I have put in over Christmas so just say over 3 weeks been fitted and come back to have one burn out already. Anyone else had this problem with these fittings???

nto come across that make, but LED downlighter length does seem to be quite variable, even from the likes of JCC. I'm also beginning to think surge suppresors might be worth fitting to some houses - it seems quite random how the same make of fitting can fail in 1 house, but be reliable in others.

The quality of the fitting is good. Just the reliability of them in my case. The odd few have failed in more than one house I have fitted them in. And the fact they changed the inline connector was a bit of a nuisance aswell as in one house where a few failed in different rooms needed the inline connection changed

With everything there would be an acceptable failure rate  , a percentage of the thousands made each year but In my opinion 8 failures  in 50  is unacceptable   .   You/we as the installer carry the cost of  returning with replacements .

Is it the installation at the particular house ...insulation , high voltage  ?? 

I'm just thinking here .... I've been fitting the same downlights for years , must have fitted hundreds of the basic chrome , JCC  fire rated  open fittings along with a separate , branded,  LED G10 lamp  .     Certainly with all the ones fitted in the last 5-6  years there has been no call backs at all  .      They changed the  from connectors to push-fit and we had a couple not connecting properly  but still no problem with lamps .  

The house with the most failures is not high voltage also the house had a new re-wire and is all on point. When they have failed it has been one fitting go at a time over the space of a few months and weeks in some cases. The latest ones installed have been in a month before Christmas tops and failed already. I also have fitted many jcc’s Seperate and all in one fittings over the years also aurora m10’s and aurora enlights and never had any problems with them at all. Just seems to be the luxna lights I have had issues with, and because there has been so many I posted on here to just check if others also had the same issue or if I was just really unlucky. I doubt i will be using luxna fittings again after all the hassle

S'funny that, I've had most problems on re-wired houses. It's almost like there isn't enough resistance on the ccts, which is why I've been considering trying surge suppressor - don't really know if that would help, but I'm fed up with failing lights.

Theres a big  LED bandwagon and dozens of unknown makers seem to be appearing with what look like quality fittings  but the electronics are obviously  suspect .    

Then as the installer , we are guaranteeing the lettuced for 12 months and end up losing out with many return visits . FOC.  

Strangely , I was talking to a local Asian sparks  the other day ,  said he now tells customer to buy  all that kind of gear , ad he's free of any guarantee  , warranty work , faulty goods  problems.     

I've had more failures with luxna than in any other brand. Today replacing two (one in my own home 😜

For the price that indicates somewhat a premium product, they don't seem to live up to the expectations. Some times clients want just a cheap light. None of the cheap ones I've fitted have failed in the last two years but luxna is a common one to fail. Will move away from the brand. 

I have lost all faith in sealed led lights

Cans with customer changeable GU10 lamps now for me.

And it's better for the planet

Separate lamps and light fittings has been my policy for years now...

(If I am supplying).

Way too much hassle when a) a combined unit fails....  

and even worse when its b) been superseded, redesigned so it wont fit or match when the faulty one was...

or c) discontinued so you can't even get a replacement!!!

AND you can risk doing a faulty fitting replacement in a room of four and find the colour rendering between the lamps is no longer matched with the new one!!

Much easier to just have locally supplied LED lamps that are easy to swap/return/get a refund if still in warranty...

Rather than having to dismantle refix a complete light with possible damage to the customers ceiling decoration.

etc..

etc..

Keep things a simple as possible if you are supplying the kit.

:coffee  

JCC - YUK - offer a 10 year warranty and run out of products within months of discontinuing the product - WTGrape?????????????? - 8 more years of hassle from customers (potentially)

If JCC read this ....... you have lost ALL my business and from what I hear at my local stockist many others too.

JCC - YUK - offer a 10 year warranty and run out of products within months of discontinuing the product - WTGrape?????????????? - 8 more years of hassle from customers (potentially)

If JCC read this ....... you have lost ALL my business and from what I hear at my local stockist many others too.

In the modern economic climate a 10year warranty, without some sort of insurance backing is a bit of a fart in a bucket....

Look back 10years at how many businesses have gone bump, or been bought out with changes to all sorts of contracts people thought they had... :shakehead

Plus I am now of the opinion that LED lamp technology is good and improving and offers some really great lighting solutions...

BUT it is still very un-proven for long term reliability….

and although the  actual LED "Light emiting" bit may be good for years..

Its more often the electronics behind it converting the 230v AC that fails way too soon..

[And DONT even mention dimming LED's to an easy and reliable solution....]  :C

Still a work-in-progress in my book!

Guinness

Theres a big  LED bandwagon and dozens of unknown makers seem to be appearing with what look like quality fittings  but the electronics are obviously  suspect .    

Then as the installer , we are guaranteeing the lettuced for 12 months and end up losing out with many return visits . FOC.  

Strangely , I was talking to a local Asian sparks  the other day ,  said he now tells customer to buy  all that kind of gear , ad he's free of any guarantee  , warranty work , faulty goods  problems.     
I remember fitting a cctv system for a bloke once, insisted on supplying his own as he didn't want 'ripping off' over the price! He got the right hump a couple of months later, " that cctv you installed is broken, I can see a picture on the monitor, but it isn't recording" he told me, "you need to come out at once". Boy was he unhappy when I told him there'd be a £50 call out fee!